cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 12

Dammit BT - why bother giving activation dates?

Go to solution

If you can't be bothered honouring them? Activation, delivery and install of phone, BT vision and broadband booked for yesterday.

Took a day off from work to wait for an engineer between 8 and 1, get a phone call from the engineer at 8.10am confirming the appointment, called him back at 12.30 to confirm he was still coming, he says yes. In the meantime the equipment arrives, I plug a handset in, works immediately, I plug the router in, no connection (to be expected) I plug the vision box in and bar the online stuff/BT Sport it works flawlessly out the box. 

Still no engineer well after 1pm so I call BT, who are a bit confused as to why I have an engineer coming out if my phone line is working but can't tell me when he may turn up, engineer turns up about 7.30PM (NICE ONE FOR MAKING ME WASTE A DAY UNPAID BT!!!) Changes the MTU and leaves, saying he doesn't know why my web connection hasn't been activated but as its still before midnight it should just connect eventually. I go to bed and wake hoping to be able to get online, no such luck - still and flashing b and an orange light.

I call the 0800 111 4567 number only to be pingponged around to various departments, numbers, people and continents, nobody knows why my broadband hasn't been activated and nobody seems to care either. I spent over 2 hours on the phone to be nowhere near connected to the web and still without an explanation. As of now, 2.04pm a day after supposed activation, the only communique that I've received from BT is a vague message that there has been a delay and I maybe connected tomorrow....Shame that came hours after me chasing around, wasting more of my time trying to get some sort of answer.

I hate SKY but right now I'm wishing I'd gone with them as my broadband/tv/phone supplier, I can't even go and watch BT Sport until the broadband turns on.... Great start to our relationship BT, Great start Smiley Sad

0 Ratings
11 REPLIES 11
Highlighted
Message 2 of 12

Re: Dammit BT - why bother giving activation dates?

Go to solution

Hi annoyedandfrustrated,

Thanks for posting. This doesn't sound good at all. I can look into this for you. Drop me an email with the details. You'll find the "contact us" form in the about me section of my profile. Once I have the details we'll take it from there.

Cheers

David

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 12

Go to solution
I've used the contact us form as requested, account number is fake as no way to access it currently, sorry
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 4 of 12

Go to solution

Can somebody PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE contact me as a matter of urgency, overnight I've received a mail telling me I won't be connected until THE 18TH OF DECEMBER - This is over a WEEK PAST SAID ACTIVATION and utterly utterly unacceptable, I signed up to be connected by the 10th, not HAVE USELESS TV AND BROADBAND I CAN'T USE FOR ANYTHING.

I've now spent a small fortune on mifi data that runs out in seconds and can't be used for online gaming or working for more than a few minutes.

The lack of communication and the sending of contridictory messages was just what I wanted BT, thanks for that

I now have a text saying I will be connected today (maybe) and an email stating I won't be connected until the 18th!!!!!

Neither suits, I have a massive backlog of both work and web purchases to sort, none of which I can do until somebody at BT gets their act together and sifts through the nonsense I've been told in the past 48 hours and sorts the issue out.

I'm just about ready to cancel my order now, I've a BT vision box thats a glorified freeview box becuase you won't activate my sport until the broadband is connected.

Incompetence at its best BT, again, Great Start.... Smiley Sad

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 12

Go to solution

This is only a customer to customer forum. If you have filled in the "contact the mods" form, then that is the only way you can contact BT, on this forum.

Activation dates can be delayed if there is a problem with the equipment, or shortage of Openreach technicians to do the work in the exchange.

If your phone activation took place on the 10th, then you will be in the queue for broadband activation, as that is a separate job which involves an Openreach visit to the excahnge.

A delay of a week between the two events, is not unusual.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 12

Go to solution
If you have contacted the Forum mods as they have suggested you are now in there mail queue and they will contact you personally by email or phone within 3/5 working days
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 7 of 12

Go to solution
As an aside, Robbie has contacted me by phone yesterday and tells me that my order has been "fast tracked" and I will be connected today (13th December)
I remain pessimistic to be honest, my experience with BT so far has been harrowing to say the least.
101 different activation dates and not a single explanation.... Nice....

I await with baited breath the light on my router to stop flashing orange.....
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 12

Go to solution
activation can take up to midnight
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 9 of 12

Go to solution

I realise that for a normal order John but have been told as a "fasttrack" that it should be active by the time I get home around 4pm.... Nothing yet as I still can't see my machines over logmein, again, I'm not holding my breath

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Message 10 of 12

Go to solution

Hi annoyedandfrustrated,

Hopefully your username no longer reflects how you're feeling! Smiley Wink

On a serious note, I was glad to help get everything sorted out.  If you need help in future post back as the guys on here are a great help and if intervention from BT is needed we'll step in again if needs be Smiley Very Happy

All the best,

Robbie

0 Ratings