Message 1 of 6

Data Rate/Max Data Rate/Noise Margin question

Go to solution

Hi,

Based on these stats:

6. Data rate:19999 / 66921
7. Maximum data rate:21914 / 81040
8. Noise margin:7.1 / 9.5

...and assuming a stable connection of 8 weeks+ with these stats or similar (data rate has not changed at all) with the only disconnections being manual restarts of my HH5a to see whether data rate would increase, should I be expecting DLM to increase my downstream data rate to closer to max data rate until either max speed (minus overhead) is achieved or noise margin approaches 6 downstream?

If that's the case, is there any reason why it isn't doing so? I'm well within the expected speeds so a support call isn't really an option but I do like to squeeze everything I can out of my connection 🙂

I have to periodically download large VM images so I do notice when the speed fluctuates. I did have the max data rate for quite a while initially (~74Mb iirc) but after a line fault over a year ago it never fully recovered.

Any info to help me understand exactly what's going on and if there are any options I have would be much appreciated.

Thanks.

0 Ratings
5 REPLIES 5
Highlighted
Sage
Message 2 of 6

Re: Data Rate/Max Data Rate/Noise Margin question

Go to solution

There's certainly room for improvement though the difference would be hardly noticed.

Stop doing the manual restarts they don't help at all on VDSL connections.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 6

Go to solution

I've done two restarts in 8 weeks. Just wanted to make clear that the line wasn't dropping because of noise issues etc.

I can see that there should be room for improvement - wondering why no improvement has taken place?

tia

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 4 of 6

Go to solution

Plugged my HH6 in to try and get the latest firmware and see whether it has fixed some of the flakiness. Hasn't updated the firmware as of yet, but stats for the connection look like this:

Data rate: 20.00 kbps / 67.00 kbps
Maximum data rate: 21672 / 83335
Noise margin: 7.2 / 11.3
Line attenuation: 16.6

Is there anything I can do to get the connection speed to increase? DLM doesn't appear to be making any adjustments at all.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 6

Go to solution
You just need to wait. DLM can take months to relent. Especally if the increases will be small.

Other than on speedtests I doubt you'd see any reall world difference between what you have no and if you were connected at 80meg.
If you want to say thanks for a helpful answer,please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side If the the reply answers your question then please mark as ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 6 of 6

Go to solution

How disappointing! But thanks nonetheless. Was hoping for some way of forcing DLM to reset but reading through, looks like that's nigh on impossible.

Cheers.

0 Ratings