cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 1 of 5

Debugging slow/intermittent ADSL - house wiring

Broadband actual speed (adslmax, 20cn IPstream or whatever its called) reduced to 1Mbish (with disconnects); profile 4.5 (which is about right for the distance/attenuation).

Although this may be a line fault (will ask for a line test) the internal wiring (which hasn't changed) is a mess and so I'd like your advise please.  Do I get a private engineer to sort this or do I (have to) pay BT?

The external line comes into a Junction Box (see pic) (cable entry is black cable top right); this then goes to 3 "extensions". Two I would call normal extensions and the third is a BTOpenworld socket (master socket I assume) with a test socket.  Normally wouldn't the extensions come from the master socket rather than the preceding junction box?

thanks for advice.

0 Ratings
4 REPLIES 4
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 5

Re: Debugging slow/intermittent ADSL - house wiring

That is a very old installation. For proper broadband performance, the extensions need to be wired from the master socket.

Are your extensions wired correctly?

As that part of the wiring belongs to Openreach, it would have to be upgraded by them, however they would simply disconnect the extensions, as they are not their responsibility. Then they would simply remove the terminal block, and simply crimp the connections directly through to the master socket.

If its practical, then they would run a new feed into the house, direct to the master socket. Either way, you would still have to connect the extensions yourself, or use a DECT cordless phone system.

Engineer visits – information and charges

The work to rewire the connection to the master socket, would be included in the fixed cost. It would be worth asking them to fit a proper ADSL filtered master socket.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 3 of 5

Thanks. I think we need to bite the bullet and get this sorted. Would I book this through Broadband Tech? I guess the fixed charge is quite high (over £100)?
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 5

@Callerab wrote:
Thanks. I think we need to bite the bullet and get this sorted. Would I book this through Broadband Tech? I guess the fixed charge is quite high (over £100)?

The price is mentioned on the link I gave you, its a fixed charge which I think covers the first hour. I would make sure that they run a totally new feed direct to your master socket, as you are paying for it. And also make sure they fit one of the new NTEs, which look like this.

Your home hub plugs into the top, and the phone in the bottom.

The bottom section is removable, and there are terminals on the back to connect any phone extensions.

newnte.jpg

You should be able to arrange a visit for the "Engineer Home Improvement Service" via the broadband helpdesk.

It does look like the old terminal box is no longer being used, and has been bypassed, but the old extension wiring is still teed into the crimp joints. Its what is called "star" wiring, and can upset broadband connections.

It also really depends on whether you actually need those extensions any more, otherwise they can be disconnected.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 5 of 5

Thanks again - I didn't realise the blue text were links!  The bottom white wire certainly goes to the master socket. I'm 90% sure the 2 extensions+master socket run from this junction.

Having said the above who's responsibility is the junction box (precedes the master socket)? Is it clear that I should pay £130 to get this fixed?

0 Ratings