Not sure if anyone has any ideas on this - We have BT Infinity 2, TV and Home Hub 3.0. Over the last month or so we have seen the wireless perfromance decline (Sonos on Android becomes unresponsive, web page loads on laptops and tablets are slow, YouTube stalls).
According to BT's own speed test we are down to 4MB download (Ethernet is fine)
We thought initially it was interference from a Roku Stick (WiFi Direct) - but no difference. What does seem to make a difference is restarting the router - on one laptop it returns to about 50MB download, but then overtime it declines back to 4MB.
With hourly restarts being out of the quetion - any ideas?
I have just posted a problem we are having with a Hub 3 which sounds depressingly similar. For the past couple of months the only way we can get the printer and laptop to communicate with the hub is by switching it off and on. Printer and laptop will work then but as soon as they are switched off we have to repeat the process. We have also noticed slow speeds for short videos etc. Consulted a BT advisor this morning but haven't got much further. He changed the wireless frequency but this has done nothing. He is also sending me an ethernet cable to test. I am convinced it is a hub problem.
I followed Keith's advice (thanks Keith!) and performed a factory reset on the device - this does seem to have solved the issue. I don't see this as an acceptable solution (i.e. I don't fancy resetting it every so often) but for now it seems to worked.
That is interesting, I wonder if that will cure other peoples` problem?
There could be something that is corrupting the working image and config, and a factory reset restores it.
There have been other threads recently on slowing HH3 wifi performance.
After fruitless talks with the call centre (Must be interference sir) I hoped to have solved mine by ignoring the discounted offer of a HH5 for £65 and paying £61 for a third party Billion 8800NL modem/router.
This is a pretty basic 802.11n modem/router without any bells and whistles but this not particularly a problem as my computer and BT TV box are both hard wired and the tablet, phone and printer are perfectly happy on 2.4 MHz. The built in modem allows you to dispense with the Openreach modem and power supply.
Its only been running for a fortnight without any down time although tbh I would say the wifi range is slightly poorer than the HH3. I do have the router in a downstairs cupboard which I know doesn't help performance but helps with domestic harmony!
Billion have a very helpful support who sent me a easy to follow guide to configure the router for multicast BT TV channels. I've found that the BT TV Humax box (the latest small one) hasn't seemed to notice the change of router and is working as before.
Hope this helps
Having experienced the same problem we investigated further.
Fixed connections using the ethernet cable worked fine through out and only those connected via wifi experienced problems; lime test was also okay on ADSL2+ at around 18Mbps on the downlink.
Later we found that fixed connections were also being affected, but this was fixed by restarting and using foil (see later). That said the original problem pointed us in the direction of the wifi.
First we found that we had to keep resetting the HH3 on a monthly and then weekly and now daily basis.
First we suspected that interference from othe WiFi was causing the problem.
We tried using the what can only be decribed as useless customer services to no avail. All they were intent on doing was doing a line test even though we kept explaining this was a wifi problem. As for the wireless connection, they could do nothing except changing the channel; something we had effectively eliminated through our own tests.
So without customer services we were on our own.
We set up another WiFi AP using an Huawei device and turned off wifi on the hub. Then using an Android WiFi app we saw that the Huawei device was on one channel and the HH3 was using another channel for BTFON.
The FON was the problem, so we used metal foil to wrap the HH3 and remove the FON signal and hey presto our wifi network was fine; remove the foil and within half an hour it fails again. Now we cannot advocate using foil all day as the hub will heat up and that could be dangerous but at least it identified the fault. To remove the FON we went back to our MYBT account on the web and under wireless services opted out for FON (had to enter email and password twice, another awk ward moment and then wait, it can take 48 hours to get rid using TR69 commands to the hub).
It seems in summary that the wifi on the HH3 has become completely useless. So we went back to BT and although we have been a customer for over 4 years they would not replace repair the HH3 unless we signed up for another contract or paid £35. So we moved to another supplier will get another hub and that should fix the problem at no cost to me but at great cost to BT.....Very poor customer service and a hub that perhaps is not up to the job.