cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 14

Declining speeds following engineer visits x 4 & where is our FTTP!!?

Hi Guys,

So I have had this happen to me 4 times now and each time I think it's fixed I end up right back at square one so I'm putting the problem here to see if any of you wise ladies and gents can maybe help me where BT can't/won't.

I have had multiple visits to my property due to slow broadband speeds. I happen to live on a relatively new build (2016) but Openreach stupidly connected everyone here to a cabinet so far away that we are incapable of getting v good broadband speeds despite our cabinet being FTTC.

As a result I need to squeeze everything I can get out of it. First time I noticed my speeds really drop to 7-11Mbps I called TalkTalk (at the time), Engineer came out and got our speeds up to 20Mbps when they left my property. No idea what they did as they changed nothing internally but I enjoyed these speeds for a week or so before week by week the average would drop 17 then 15 then 12 Mbps and maybe sit around there. Eventually I left talktalk due to how unhelpful they were and went with BT.

Join BT and great speeds 17-21Mbps so very happy. Then gradual drop again so call BT engineer comes out back up to 20-21Mbps for a few weeks then rinse and repeat. This has happened 3 times now! I've been given a new router, this has changed nothing.

Can someone please help me out because every time I call BT they go through the script, tell me there's nothing wrong with the line blah blah (been told this every time). I'm at the point again where I know they will allow an engineer to come out again soon but I fear it'll just be the same issue again.

In fact the engineer who came last time told me that our porperty would be very easy to upgrade to FTTP due to the new pipework etc. we have so why can't Openreach do this and likely solve the terrible speeds my neighbours and I have. We live near a big town in a built up area so our infrastructure should not be this bad!!

Any advice anyone has would be massively appreciated

0 Ratings
13 REPLIES 13
Message 2 of 14

Re: Declining speeds following engineer visits x 4 & where is our FTTP!!?

OK sounds frustrating so if you don't mind let's do some self diagnostics.

Can you post your connection stats from the hub

HH6 Advanced settings/technical log.

HH5 Troubleshooting/helpdesk.

Enter your phone number HERE and post a screenshot of the result remove your number before posting.

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 14

Hey Pippincp, Please see the requested info below!

Technical Log:

Product name:Smart Hub
Serial number:+088044+1644007647
Firmware version:v0.09.06.05093-BT
Firmware updated:Thu Aug 2 18:00:28 2018
Board version:01
DSL uptime:1 days,02 Hours54 Mins25 Secs
Data rate:5.539 Mbps / 14.273 Mbps
Maximum data rate:5.539 Mbps / 22.349 Mbps
Noise margin:6.0 / 11.9
Line attenuation:33.5 / 27.4
Signal attenuation:33.5 / 24.0
Data sent / received:403.8 MB / 12.2 GB
Broadband username:bthomehub@btbroadband.com
BT Wi-fi:Activated
2.4 GHz wireless network name:BTHub6-K63S
2.4 GHz wireless channel:Automatic (Smart Wireless)
5 GHz wireless network name:BTHub6-K63S
5 GHz wireless channel:Automatic (Smart Wireless)
Wireless security:WPA2
Wireless mode:Mode 1
Firewall:Default
MAC address:E4:3E:D7:C7:23:D7
Software variant:-
Boot loader:0.1.6-BT (Fri Sep 9 10:05:09 2016)

From the Link:

Thanks!
0 Ratings
Message 4 of 14

Can you do a quiet line test preferrably with a corded phone on 17070 option 2 any noise report a line fault on 151.

If the line test is clear I would suggest you connect to the test socket with a filter to rule out any internal wiring and the faceplate. Do check that no extentions work when connected to the test socket.

BTW to make it easier for us please upload images to here directly.

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 14

I haven't had a corded phone in years so I'm afraid I'm unable to do that.

Do you need me to re upload any images? Any idea what could be causing my issue? It just seems strange that the problem disappears for a period of time after every engineer visit only to go back to how it was after a while

Any other tests I can run?

Any idea how to get BT/Openreach to upgrade us to FTTP?

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 14

You don't need to upload any other images I was just pointing out it's a pain to have to go elsewhwere to see them instead of them being within your post.

A quiet line test is the first basic test to perform, for the cost of about £5 it can save you £129, your call.

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 14

I'll see if I've got an old phone laying about.

Why would it save me £129?

Thanks 🙂

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 14

If the fault is caused by any internal wiring it is your responsibility.

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 14

Right! Found an old phone so I have run the test. No noises heard!

Thanks again
0 Ratings
Message 10 of 14

‘Any idea how to get BT/Openreach to upgrade us to FTTP?’

According to the Availability Checker WBC FTTP isn’t available to you, only FTTPoD.

FTTPoD is only available to Businesses and I’m not even sure BT Business Sell it.

The Installation costs can run into the tens of thousands of pounds.

Ref to these Engineers getting your speed up to 20mbps. Sounds like all they’re doing is a DLM Reset, which will force the speed up but as your line can’t handle it the DLM will correct itself and lower your Sync Rate to a more Stable Rate.
0 Ratings