cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
einzichi
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 29

Decreased my speed?

Hi, I've been a BT Customer now for a couple of weeks and noticed that somehow my broadband speed was decreased from when I first used it. First I had a problem with ping but that has been mostly fixed but now this.

I took this screenshot on 23/06 (around the time of my first week). It says that my speed is just around 6Mb. It even went to 7Mb sometime that week, if I remember correctly.

Snip1.PNG 

This is the one I took just now. It's been like this for some time now. Checking with BT broadband speed checker, I should be getting aroung ~7Mb but it's nowhere near that.

Snip3.PNG

My router is connected to the master socket and I've tried the quite line test and there's nothing wrong with my line. So... Any particular reason for this?

0 Ratings
28 REPLIES 28
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 29

Re: Decreased my speed?

Have you been disconnecting your line or restarting you home hub on a regular basis, as your downstream noise margin has been increased by the DLM?

You must leave your home hub turned on and connected to your phone line for at least five days.

During that time, do not reset or disconnect it.

If your connection speed has not increased after that time, then return to this thread for assistance.

Thank you

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 29

can you connect to the test socket instead of the master socket?  have you had an email recently from BT about exchnage upgrade?

you are now on 21CN and currently on adsl2 but if you can sort out your connection you should be on adsl2+ and with your attenuation I would expect a connection speed of about 14mb

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
einzichi
Aspiring Contributor
Message 4 of 29

Well, sometimes I reset it hoping that it might reset the problem or when my connection behaves erratically (constantly connecting then reconnecting again).

Man...5 days is long.... DX

I have the old socket therefore it doesn't have the test socket. (I think) I haven't received an email regarding exchange upgrade at all.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 29

resetting your router is the worst thinh you can do to your conenction especially a few resets in a short space of time

have you removed the bellwire on terminal 3 from all your sockets

bellwire removal

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 29

the most important thing is to maintain a stable connection with no manual restarts restarting your hub is the worse thing you can do as the exchange equipment sees your line as unstable and increases your noise margin to stabilise your line which will reduce your connection speed
0 Ratings
einzichi
Aspiring Contributor
Message 7 of 29

DX..... I'll keep it on for a week and see if theres gonna be any change. Hopefully the exchange server reduce the line noise, if that is the problem.

I haven't tried meddling with the wires in the socket. I'll check out that link later and see what I can do.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 29

please post back here when you have got 5 days stable connection then we can advise further then
0 Ratings
Highlighted
einzichi
Aspiring Contributor
Message 9 of 29

Yeah, gonna try that out. I'll wait 5 days and see if there's gonna be any changes. In the mean time, I will keep monitoring my speeds and whatnot.

Thanks for the help everyone. Now, to keep this thread alive for 5 days.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 29

There is always someone around to help
0 Ratings