cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Steveh_1955
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 7

Decreasing IP Profile

Can somebody help.  I have noticed of late that my broadnband speed has been decreasing.  We have had our friendly neighbourhood thieves stealing cables recently and since my line came back on I have noticed a drop in speed.

When I was on ADSL2 i used to sync at 8128 with an IP Profile of 7150, line was set to fast

When I was upgraded to ADSL2+ my router was showing interleaved which I got the moderators to switch off (Mumbai didnt comprehend this) and all was well for a few months until cables got pinched, I used to sync around 14MBPS.

I have just run a speed test with BT and my IP profile is now showing 4.5 MBPs, my router shows I am suyncing at 11.1 MBPs so surely something is wrong.  Has my IP Profile got stuck?

Can the mods please look into this for me as I lost faith in Mumbai several months ago and I know if I ring them my head will explode

0 Ratings
6 REPLIES 6
john46
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 7

Re: Decreasing IP Profile

Hi Welcome to the forums

It sound like yourdownload speed has been dropped because of  turning off interleaving causing an increase of  errors on your line please  follow the  link and post  back  the results  it will not be a stuck IP Profile  as you are  now on a new for of pofiling system that  follows the connection speed automatically 

Here is a basic guide to getting help from the community members done by CL Keith Please read through the link posted http://forumhelp.dyndns.info/speed/first_steps.html

once you have posted the information asked for then the community members can help you more

Thank You

This is a customer to customer self help forum the only BT presence here are the forum moderators

0 Ratings
Steveh_1955
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 7

So you are saying that ADSL2+ is worse than ADSL2, as I said earlier my IP profile was 7150 on ADSL2 I never had a problem with my broadband, since having our cables stolen its now 4.5MBPs.  My line is perfect I have done the quiet line test and the full tests with no issues at all (I was a telephone engineer so I know what a noisy line is like)

These are the stats from the speed tester

Download speedachieved during the test was - 4.26
Mbps

For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds is 1.2 Mbps-4 Mbps.
IP Profile for your line
is - 4.5 Mbps

I used to get dowload speeds of 6MBPs with ADSL2 funny how I dont now I have been migrated.  My download speed has never dropped by turning off interleaving before so why would it now?  It used to be perfectly OK.

Here are my stats from my Home Hub 2 you will notice that my hub reports as the line is interleaved, the moderators intervened last time and have confirmed that my line is fast and that sometimes routers show the lines as interleaved not fast

Here is the text from my last visit to the forums from one of the mods, as you can see my profile was at7150 then and re calculating, I never switch my hub off so its not that

Your line is actually connected at around 13.1Mb at the minute so this would   be a fair increase from what you were getting before the migration to 21CN.   Your IP Profile is sitting at 7150k though which is why you probably aren't   seeing much of a speed increase. You can find out what your IP Profile is by   running a test on www.speedtester.bt.com.   On ADSL2+ the difference in speed between interleaved/non-interleaved lines   can sometimes be negligible so I wouldn't worry too much about the speed as   long as the line remains stable at it's current level, which is pretty good   for your line length.

As mentioned previously, I don't know why routers sometimes show lines as   interleaved when they aren't or vice versa - it's something I've saw on both   ADSL and ADSL2+ lines so I wouldn't think it would be related to the upgrade.   It seems to be an anomaly of what the router picks up from the exchange, even   though every system we can use to check interleaving confirms that it's off   (and I'm sure your ping tests would confirm this too).

Either way, it's switched off, your sync speed is fine and your IP Profile is   currently in the process of recalculating to match this. Let me know if there   are any other problems in future and I'll see what I can do.

Here are my stats from my Home Hub 2

Line state Connected
Connection time 5 days, 13:21:47
Downstream 11,087 Kbps
Upstream 1,195 Kbps

ADSL settings
VPI/VCI 0/38
Type PPPoA
Modulation ITU-T G.992.5
Latency type Interleaved
Noise margin (Down/Up) 8.6 dB / 6.2 dB
Line attenuation (Down/Up) 31.5 dB / 17.9 dB
Output power (Down/Up) 0.0 dBm / 12.3 dBm
Loss of Framing (Local) 0
Loss of Signal (Local) 0
Loss of Power (Local) 0
FEC Errors (Down/Up) 0 / 4294967264
CRC Errors (Down/Up) 6531 / N/A
HEC Errors (Down/Up) N/A / 0
Error Seconds (Local)

0 Ratings
Steveh_1955
Aspiring Contributor
Message 4 of 7

I have just checked on that link you sent me and with my sync speed as it is now my IP Profile should be 9000 so obviously I do have a problem

0 Ratings
john46
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 7

Hi  

When I was on ADSL2 i used to sync at 8128 with an IP Profile of 7150, line was set to fast

That speed and profile is for adslmax NOT adsl2

now you are on adsl2+ your IP is now 88.2% of your connection speed   with your current connection speed your IP profile should  be 9778k approx 

0 Ratings
Steveh_1955
Aspiring Contributor
Message 6 of 7

So there is definately something wrong with my profile then, when you read back my sped has dropped too so there must be a problem, think I will e-mail support

0 Ratings
john46
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 7

Yes just recontact the mods again
0 Ratings