Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
adelea
Beginner
Message 1 of 9

'Deferred payment for equipment' ?

Go to solution

I am cancelling/closing my BT account, and received an email from BT explaining about some charges that I will incur due to ending my contract early.

One of these:

• Charge for your equipment - You'll need to pay about £65 for your outstanding equipment charges. You can find out more about this under 'Deferred payment for equipment' at bt.com/legalstuff

Now as far as I can see, the word 'Deferred' does not appear on that page anywhere.

So - what is this charge for? The only equipment I have received from BT is the HH5 - and I have received another email asking me to return this...

I dont mind one or the other - but having to pay for something AND returning it seems a little much.

0 Ratings
8 REPLIES 8
gk406
Aspiring Contributor
Message 2 of 9

Re: 'Deferred payment for equipment' ?

Go to solution
It's in the tariff guide on the page you link to. States you pay for the home hub if you end the contract within 12 months.

It's a nonsense though. Most other ISPs would simply request you return the router
0 Ratings
Ectophile
Distinguished Guru
Message 3 of 9

Go to solution

It's BT's way if imposing large charges on people who leave early without actually calling them penalty charges - because OFCOM doesn't allow penalty charges any more.

When BT send you a Home Hub, they are not giving it to you or lending it to you.  They are selling it to you instead.  All the time you are a customer, you don't have to pay.  If you see out a full year of broadband payments, then BT will write off the price of the Hub, and you never have to pay.

BT are asking you to return the hub for refurbishing or recycling.  You don't have to if you don't want to - after all it's now your Home Hub.

The relevant section from the T&Cs is:-

Deferred Payment for Equipment

1. In some cases we will allow you to defer payment of the full price of the equipment we supply for use with the service. If you then end the service within 12 months of BT accepting your order and you did not pay the full price of that equipment when you placed your order, then you will be liable to pay the balance – that is the price of the equipment as set out in the Tariff Guide, less any amount which you paid upfront when you placed your order, unless you end the service within the cancellation period (as detailed in paragraph 10 of the Residential Standard Terms). The deferred payment is no longer payable after you have received service for 12 months or more from the date that your order was accepted by BT.

rscott
Aspiring Expert
Message 4 of 9

Go to solution
Surely they should either be asking the customer for the hub back OR to pay, not both as they've done in this case?
0 Ratings
toekneem
Distinguished Guru
Message 5 of 9

Go to solution

@rscott wrote:
Surely they should either be asking the customer for the hub back OR to pay, not both as they've done in this case?

Correct, they can't have it both ways.

toekneem

(EASBF)

0 Ratings
Ectophile
Distinguished Guru
Message 6 of 9

Go to solution

To add insult to injury, having forced you to pay for the Home Hub, it's locked to BT Broadband, and so won't work on any other provider's network.

0 Ratings
TheyConnedMe
Beginner
Message 7 of 9

Go to solution

Same thing happened to me.  I received an e-mail from BT saying they are charging me ---> £0.27 <--- “for your outstanding equipment charges” AND I received a large pre-paid bag saying I need to return the BT equipment in it.

I’ve just got off the phone with a friendly helpful Indian lady (struggled a bit to understand each other) but she confirmed I do not need to return the equipment, I paid for it. 

So the question now is, do I return the ---> pre-paid <--- bag empty or do I include a thank-you gift (something like a brick so they can build the company up) for the 1 year of struggling to get BT to activate BT Sport which they never did even though it was part of my package with lots of excuses and fob-U-offs.        . . . . decisions decisions.

0 Ratings
gg30340
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 9

Go to solution

You are posting on a two year old thread. 

By law, companies that supply electrical equipment have to supply a method of returning the equipment for disposal if the customer wants to do that. This is usually dealt with by way of an automated mailing and as you have found out, you do not need to return the equipment if you are out of your initial contract term.

0 Ratings
rscott
Aspiring Expert
Message 9 of 9

Go to solution

They can fulfil that obligation by joining a DTS (Distributor Takeback Service) . 

They certainly don't need to send out misleading letters claiming the equipment MUST (not MAY) be returned, which they've been doing for years.

0 Ratings