cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
AmAtoL
Aspiring Expert
Message 1 of 10

Definitely better after 11pm for gaming ..P2P issues ?

Ever since my speed was restored a few weeks ago I have been looking forward to a spot of high speed gaming.

I only game at night, usually from 9.30 to 11.30 on my favourite BC2 server. Pings are usually good, frame rate is good but the actual experience is very poor at the moment. Lagging a lot, can't hit anything etc.

Come 11 pm everything magically clears up and is what I would expect of Infinity, I know it isn't strictly P2P but the throttling of P2P traffic up to 11 certainly seems to be affecting me.

It's not a scientific test but trust me I can tell the difference during that last half hour.

Does this affect anybody else or is it just me ? and is there a reason why it should do this ?

Cheers

0 Ratings
9 REPLIES 9
Nige32
Aspiring Expert
Message 2 of 10

Re: Definitely better after 11pm for gaming ..P2P issues ?

Hi AmAtol

I enjoy playing a few online games (Halo,L4D 1 and 2,Team fortress ect ect) at different times off the day and to be honest I find I have no trouble with lag, my connection to American servers from England seems to be very good and to UK based servers is excellent. 

As far as I am aware bt do not limit or throttle game connections.  

I guess there could be many different factors that could affect a line and its performance, as your problem goes away at a certain time I could only guess that might be interference from somewhere, you could try phoning the helpdesk to see if they have any suggestions that may help you.

You could contact the forum team they are a good bunch of people and may be able to help you as well here is a link to the contact form click here .

Sorry I could not be more help, I hope your problem gets sorted out.

0 Ratings
AmAtoL
Aspiring Expert
Message 3 of 10

Aye Nige it could be a lot of things, it could be nothing at all, it just seems it cheers up after 11 pm which is coincidentally the "stop throttling time".

I agree with you that BT do not actively/knowingly impact games to dedicated servers, I'm just thinking there might  be a connection.

Perhaps it's just me, anyway I'll try it again tonight as usual.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 4 of 10

@Nige32 wrote:

Hi AmAtol

..... you could try phoning the helpdesk to see if they have any suggestions that may help you.

Hi Nige,

Pleasae , please, please do not mention phoning the help desk to AmAtol.Smiley MadSmiley MadSmiley Mad

toekneem

(EASBF)

0 Ratings
jcampy
Aspiring Expert
Message 5 of 10

Prehaps it would be worth doing a few tracerts to at differnt times of the day it will help show if its due to p2p throttling or just general lag as this will show on a tracert
0 Ratings
ironman123
Recognised Expert
Message 6 of 10

Why is that toekneem,has he had some bad experiences with them.?

0 Ratings
Nige32
Aspiring Expert
Message 7 of 10

Hi Toekneem

Interesting request perhaps you could explain why so I don't make the same mistake again.

As I thought the suggestion seemed reasonable at the time.

Cheers

Nige

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 8 of 10

@ironman123 wrote:

Why is that toekneem,has he had some bad experiences with them.?

AmAtoL on a good day, AmAtoL after ringing India, AmAtoL after a OR no showsmiley-bangheadonwall-yellow.gif

toekneem

(EASBF)

0 Ratings
AmAtoL
Aspiring Expert
Message 9 of 10

Lol toekneem, couldn't have put it better myself 🙂

Just to add guys, I have had some trouble in the past with my profile being halved ( a quick search of my posts should bring everyone up to speed ) it was eventually reset after a lot of hassle. Others have had the same dramas as well, it's kind of an ongoing thing that the Mods are trying to sort out for us all. Bear in mind if people complain of a reduced speed and it turns out to be a stuck profile then much teeth gnashing will ensue.

toekneem followed my endeavours and wasn't trying to say that your advice was bad or anything, he was just having a laugh with me 🙂

On topic, I know I can ping the game server and have the lowest ping in there, it's just what's happening while playing that I was worried about. To be fair it was quite bad for me after 11 pm last night too, there was no outward signs of anything wrong it is just a gut feeling.

I was just wondering if anyone knew of a technical reason ( BT's end ) that might affect gaming, probably isn't, but you never know.

Oh, yeah, I will do some tracerts and see what they say, can I do them while playing ?

0 Ratings
Nige32
Aspiring Expert
Message 10 of 10

Cool I understand now thanks

You can run tracert while playing, just did it on an American halo server, I managed 19 hops and ended up just over 110ms.

Running it makes no difference to gameplay, just had to remember to go back and look at the results. 

0 Ratings