cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 11 of 25

Re: Delay, delay and more delay

Yep - here in sunny Kew Gardens (Mortlake Exchange) we've been subject to the same lies from BT about availability. Saw and spoke to they OR guys at the end of our road in Dec 2010 (I think - maybe the Alzheimer's is setting in, it has been so long) installing the fo cables. Why cant BT just be more honest and say "Available - possibly, maybe sometime before 2020". At least we woulddn't be left feeling as though we've been totally taken for mugs.

0 Ratings
Contributor
Message 12 of 25

Couldn't agree more: my date has been moved twice now (I also came back to BT as they said it would be available in December) and, as there is no work going on on the cabinet and no planning permissions to install cables, I fully expect it to be moved back again to September or December this year. 

What's even more annoying is that BT refuse to tell you what the reasons for the delays are, even when you complain to them.  There's nothing stopping BT Broadband getting the information from Openreach and passing it on to customers - they just refuse to do so. 

If BT have a good reason for the delays, they should be telling their customers.  If they don't know why there are delays, they shoudl be finding out.  And if they have no idea when it will be available, they shouldn't be providing estimated dates to potential customers as part of their marketing of the service - to do so is a misleading consumer action and illegal under the Consumer Protection from Unfair Trading Regs. 

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 13 of 25

BT Broadband, who you are a customer of, having nothing to do with the delay.

The delay is with the work being done by Openreach. If you were a sky customer waiting on Sky's fibre service to become available you wouldn't blame them for it, because as a service provider, they have nothing to do with it, just like BT broadband have nothing to do with it.
If you want to say thanks for a helpful answer,please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side If the the reply answers your question then please mark as ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
0 Ratings
Aspiring Expert
Message 14 of 25

For some reason this reminds me of an episode of The Goon Show :-

Neddy Seagoon ( playing Sherlock Holmes ) : "Watson, we must go to Baker Street without delay ! "

Off-stage voice ( strong Caribbean accent ) : "Man, why not have de lay now and go to Baker Street later ?"

How did they get away with it in the 1950s........

0 Ratings
Aspiring Expert
Message 15 of 25

Webby,

I agree with Beefqueen here. Of course you are right that the delay is down to OpenReach, but BT Broadband could make some effort to inform potential cutomers what is going on. I imagine it must be particularly galling to those who join BT in the expectation of getting Infinity soon and then finding the date put back repeatedly.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 16 of 25

BT Retail as a service provider can't contact Openreach directly about broadband related issues, only PSTN (telephone lines)
If you want to say thanks for a helpful answer,please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side If the the reply answers your question then please mark as ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
0 Ratings
Contributor
Message 17 of 25

Webby, you're wrong to say: "If you were a sky customer waiting on Sky's fibre service to become available you wouldn't blame them for it..." 

If I had gone with Sky after Sky had marketed FTTC availability, only to find that not only had Sky pushed back the date by six months but apparently had *no idea whatsoever* if or when FTTC would in fact become available, I would also accuse Sky of illegally misleading potentially customers.

If BT Broadband - as they will be - are aware of substantial pushbacks to dates but have no information as to why this will happen or when the issues will be rectified, they should stop providing FTTC indicative dates that clearly aren't worth the paper they're written on. 

0 Ratings
Guru
Message 18 of 25

There is no legality about it, if B.T or Sky or whatever ISP are supplying an FTTC/P service and those dates are pushed back (also it says on the Infinity checker that these dates are subject to change) they then are allowed to do so. I've still am subject to delays and delays and delays, however, i have sat here and just had to accept it, pretty much asking from every angle from B.T or the mods on here as to why this is the case. 

Also, your local council has a say in the rollout of fibre optics and cabinets etc due to planning permission, it's not all simply held by Openreach, contractors have to be brought in, powering the cabinet, all in all a length process.

If you want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side If the the reply answers your question then please mark as ’Mark as Accepted Solution
0 Ratings
Contributor
Message 19 of 25

Aarong

I'm afraid you're wrong - there is legaltiy to it, in terms of how BT markets Infinity to potential customers.  For example, you say that 'councils have a say in it' and talk in generalities about everything that can go wrong.  While I don't dispute that, no-one actually knows what's happening in their case as BT don't tell people, which makes these reasons rather redundant.  

As I said before, if BT know what's going wrong, they should tell people when they ask.  If they don't know what's going wrong, they should stop indicating dates, as these indications are worthless.  

0 Ratings
Guru
Message 20 of 25

You say there is legality but have no definition or specific's as to what type of legality it is. Please refer me as to what act or act's B.T are in Breach of, will be an interesting read or find. 

If you want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side If the the reply answers your question then please mark as ’Mark as Accepted Solution
0 Ratings