cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Message 21 of 25

Re: Delay, delay and more delay

as has been posted many times before BT Retail have no control over the Fibre roll out like all ISP's they can only provide it when the service is activated in an exchange area all BT retail information clearly states that all dates are estimates as in fact does all information published by Openreach there are NO guarantees as to an actual date
and there is no legal requirement to provide a service other then a voice circuit where practical 

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 22 of 25

Hi Aarong

I did actually refer to them.  If you want more detail, I suggest you look at Part 2 of The Consumer Protection from Unfair Trading Regulations 2008; you can read them at your leisure here:

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukdsi/2008/9780110811574/contents

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 23 of 25

john46 - I think you're being slightly charitable to BT.  What their 'broadband checker results' app says is: 

'Broadband Option - Broadband Speed Range - When You Can Get It'

It then says - after *twelve lines* of small text and in reference to the use of a postcode for checking (rather than a number), "When we are able to provide a date for future fibre availability, it is indicative only and subject to change."

I suggest you have a proper look at it.  

Therefore it presents the BT Infinity Option not as an estimate and then says the date is indicative when a postcode is used.  

If BT Retail really has as little information and control over dates as you and others on this forum have suggested, they do have, under the Regulations I posted above, a duty to make that clear, as consumers would take that information into account in deciding what broadband provider to go with.  As it stands, their presentation of the Infinity service is very misleading.  

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Guru
Message 24 of 25

All in all, i think honestly that if this was such a major issue, B.T would've been picked up by this ages ago. In the way of the Law working world you know as well as myself this would have been picked up and and i'm sure B.T advertise it in this way because they are allowed to.
If you want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side If the the reply answers your question then please mark as ’Mark as Accepted Solution
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 25 of 25

Aarong - if that were really the case, there'd be no need for lawyers or courts as no-one would ever break the law!  

Of course, the fact that BT will get in a few extra pounds by misleading people into signing up - thinking they will get Infinity yet stil not having it years later - would have nothing to do with the decisions they make about their marketing...

0 Ratings