cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ed_Jones
Message 1 of 8

Deleted subaccount by accident- PLEASE HELP!

A few hours ago I was logged in to bt.yahoo.com as the primary account holder and deleted three or four old and unused subaccounts. I also accidentally deleted a subaccount that is used very regularly and now I need this reversed so I can receive emails through this account again ASAP.
I have already called the 0800 111 4567 helpline and the assistant there informed me it will take up to 110 days before it is possible to receive emails with this address again. I asked to speak to her supervisor and he told me the same and suggested I sign up a new subaccount with a different email address and to inform my contacts that my email address has changed. I told him this does not help because many people will be emailing the old address who I do not know how to contact. He told me he will talk to his superior and his superior will contact yahoo and then he will call me back to discuss any possible solution, only to say when he did call back that even yahoo said there was nothing they could do.
It seems this email account has gone into a state of limbo and is set to stay like that for about the next two or three months. I simply cannot wait that long. Please help me get this email address back! It isn't even bouncing emails back to the sender, so people will be emailing this address and have no idea that they are not being received.
0 Ratings
7 REPLIES 7
Distinguished Guru
Message 2 of 8

Re: Deleted subaccount by accident- PLEASE HELP!

@Ed_Jones wrote:
A few hours ago I was logged in to bt.yahoo.com as the primary account holder and deleted three or four old and unused subaccounts. I also accidentally deleted a subaccount that is used very regularly and now I need this reversed so I can receive emails through this account again ASAP.
I have already called the 0800 111 4567 helpline and the assistant there informed me it will take up to 110 days before it is possible to receive emails with this address again. I asked to speak to her supervisor and he told me the same and suggested I sign up a new subaccount with a different email address and to inform my contacts that my email address has changed. I told him this does not help because many people will be emailing the old address who I do not know how to contact. He told me he will talk to his superior and his superior will contact yahoo and then he will call me back to discuss any possible solution, only to say when he did call back that even yahoo said there was nothing they could do.
It seems this email account has gone into a state of limbo and is set to stay like that for about the next two or three months. I simply cannot wait that long. Please help me get this email address back! It isn't even bouncing emails back to the sender, so people will be emailing this address and have no idea that they are not being received.

Hi Ed.

The only people here who can help you are I believe the mods.

If you fill in this form: http://bt.custhelp.com/app/contact_email/c/4951 with a link back to your post for ref, the mods will get back to you. it can take up to 3 days.

Lets hope they can get it all back for you.

toekneem

(EASBF)

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 3 of 8

@Ed_Jones wrote:

Hi. Welcome to the forums.

A deleted sub account does go into a limbo state, and is not accessible for 90 days as it happens. After these 90 days (or 3 calendar months), the email address actually goes into the general pool of unused email addresses, which anyone can pick up - including you. The email address will not automatically be able to receive emails at the 90 day time, any sent to it then will bounce as non-existent account - and you woiuld have to add it again.

As you've noticed, emails sent to these limbo accounts do not bounce, and as far as I know they are actually lost. Over the years, I've not been able to determine whether they do sit in in the acconut until deletion at the 90 days.

About 7 years ago or more, deleted sub accounts were able to be reinstated immediately, but that changed to the 90 day system. I have tried numerous times to request emails sent to a limbo account to either bounce or reply with a non-delivery response.

As mentiuoned, your best bet is to contact the moderators.

If you are able to have the account re-added, could you pop back here and give details to whether any emails sent to it are indeed lost ? (you could send a few to it yourself, so that you know you will some).

Good luck.

0 Ratings
Karen51
Beginner
Message 4 of 8

Wondering how things worked out . We contacted BT in November when my hubby and sons discovered there email sub accounts were not working. ( I am the main account holder) I was informed that the main account had been hacked so all sub accounts had been deleted but we could get them back after 90 days. I have spent several hours on the phone trying to get answers without success and a very bad service. When we put in the details it says that the e mail address has been re issued which causes us concern about possible fraud.

Any advice most helpful as seriously thinking on leaving bt for good.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 5 of 8

@Karen51 wrote:
Wondering how things worked out . We contacted BT in November when my hubby and sons discovered there email sub accounts were not working. ( I am the main account holder) I was informed that the main account had been hacked so all sub accounts had been deleted but we could get them back after 90 days. I have spent several hours on the phone trying to get answers without success and a very bad service. When we put in the details it says that the e mail address has been re issued which causes us concern about possible fraud.

Any advice most helpful as seriously thinking on leaving bt for good.

Hi. Welcome to the forums.

I believe that the time to re-use a deleted sub-account is now 110 days, so if it's not as long as that then you may have to wait a little longer to try to re-use them.

Any of those accounts can actually be picked up by anyone after the "limbo" period has expired. That's the same for accounts in the same position for any BTinternet account.

To be frank, fraud wouldn't come into it, and would be the same for any ISP.

0 Ratings
Karen51
Beginner
Message 6 of 8

Thanks for that. Why don't they give more info when you phone them? We aren't exactly sure when, why or by whom they were deleted so calculating the 110 day period is less easy than it sounds! The fraud fear is simple. If someone causes your address to be deleted then they know exactly when to set it up as a "new" address meaning that they receive emails intended for you.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 7 of 8

@Karen51 wrote:
Thanks for that. Why don't they give more info when you phone them? We aren't exactly sure when, why or by whom they were deleted so calculating the 110 day period is less easy than it sounds! The fraud fear is simple. If someone causes your address to be deleted then they know exactly when to set it up as a "new" address meaning that they receive emails intended for you.

Hi again.

Do you know how the account was hacked in the first place ? Was it a phish email, or perhaps a trojan/virus infection on a computer, or it could be social engineering. I'm not making any inference, but some people do let their guard down when posting on Facebook etc - revealing all sorts of possible security details.

With regard to the sub-accounts, if you were expecting any emails to be received on them, then nothing will actually be received. No bounce message is sent, and the emails are lost completely. I assume that the accounts were deleted by the hacker.

If you know of any contacts that would send emails to any of the sub accounts, e.g. annual insurance requests etc - then you could contact them saying that the email address is now invalid.

Although not impossible, I would not really expect any form of hacker/phisher to wait for a set period and manually try to add the deleted email accounts onto another BTinternet account.

Even if it wasn't the hacker adding a deleted sub-account, anyone could do it - and there are millions of BTinternet users. I admit that there is a very, very small chance of possible personal information that could end up in the wrong place, but based on your first post - that would still happen if you left BTinternet.

I would try every day at the same time from now on to add one of the accounts that was deleted, hopefully one day it would work.

0 Ratings
Karen51
Beginner
Message 8 of 8

Thanks for the info. We don't know how it was hacked. I suspect you are right - it's very possible that the security breach was at our end and we've beefed up how we deal with security. Doubt we'll ever get the old data back but we haven't found the telephone service to have been any use. We've learned more in this brief exchange than in a frustrating several of hours dealing with unhelpful operators and we still have no idea what happened. We only found out about this Site while looking for a solution to problems with powerline adaptors. Followed the advice on here and got it resolved straight away. Hopefully we will never have to use the woeful "help"line ever again. It's like an episode of the office.
0 Ratings