cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Aspiring Expert
Message 1 of 13

Descrepancy between Home hub usage data and Broadband Monitor

Does anyone know why there is a large descrepancy between the Home Hub usage data and the BT Broadband Monitor. My hub has been on connection time for 13 days and shows 4GB usage in this time (under Advance Settings, Broadband and then Internet tab). The Broadband Monitor in MyBT shows 8GB from 1st August to 12th August !.

Which data is correct?

0 Ratings
12 REPLIES 12
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 13

Re: Descrepancy between Home hub usage data and Broadband Monitor

the home hub data often resest even though the connection remains stable - from a previous post I think it often happens about 5gb

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Expert
Message 3 of 13

Thank you for your prompt answer. So is it normal for the Home Hub to reset itself like this? and is the Broadband Monitor in MyBT the only reliable source of usage data ?

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Guru
Message 4 of 13

@Dippu wrote:

Thank you for your prompt answer. So is it normal for the Home Hub to reset itself like this? and is the Broadband Monitor in MyBT the only reliable source of usage data ?

Hi.

The hub can only be used as a comparison (e.g. when done daily at the same time noting the difference). There are a lot of reasons the hub can reset - someone turning off the power, moving the hub, a power cut etc.

The online monitor is therefore the only source.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Expert
Message 5 of 13

Thank you @ Andy_N. In my case the hub has a stable connection over the 13 day period in question and the usage shown in the Broadband Monitor is twice as much. The only answer seems to be is what @imjolly suggested.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Recognised Expert
Message 6 of 13

@Dippu wrote:

I find my Home Hub 3 B does not reset itself as described. I find it more reliable than the Broadband Monitor on MyBt because if used properly it can be used to monitor usage in almost a real time basis eg hourly. The "two" broadband monitors old and new suffer from being at 24 hour intervals and often miss one or two days.  Having said all that, the three methods tend to agree despite posts to the contrary.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Expert
Message 7 of 13

That's interesting. What bothers me is that the monitor is showing twice as much usage and I would expect the hub to be more up to date with the usage data than the monitor for exactly the same reason you have given. That is the monitor is out by 24 hours.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 13

The monitor counts uploads as well as downloads, so you have to take this into account if you upload a lot of data.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Expert
Message 9 of 13

Yep I've taken that into account. Just looked at the hub reading and now it is at 4GB total. The Monitor is at 8GB. The worrying thing is that BT will bill us on the monitors readings.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Recognised Expert
Message 10 of 13

@Dippu wrote:
Yep I've taken that into account. Just looked at the hub reading and now it is at 4GB total. The Monitor is at 8GB. The worrying thing is that BT will bill us on the monitors readings.

It is important that you take Hub readings on a regular basis in order to eliminate problems due to disconnections, resets etc. It is also important to note that there can be three values for connection times,viz Internet connection, connection to the exchange and local network connection. The initial check you need to do is find the usage for a single day from the MyBT monitor and compare with the corresponding value from the Home Hub. It obviously helps if the Hub value is obtained midnight to midnight. Note my caveat in my original post with the words "if used properly".

It helps when posting to say what Hub you are using and connection type eg Infinity, Adsl .

0 Ratings