cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Message 1 of 5

Dialling the USA (or anywhere else abroad)

Go to solution

Please can anyone tell me what i dial to access numbers in the USA by text or phone? I know that to dial the UK from there you add 044 and miss out the first zero from the UK number, but it doesn't seem to work the other way around. I've also tried using the + key, with no result.

0 Ratings
4 REPLIES 4
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 5

Re: Dialling the USA (or anywhere else abroad)

Go to solution

Is this any help?

http://www.thephonebook.bt.com/publisha.content/en/search/international/index.publisha#

It can be a prefix of 00 (no + sign used), or a number of others..

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 3 of 5

Go to solution

You can use these codes +1 or 00 1 in accessing or dialing the numbers of US. Indeed, you can have a great call to your friends, family or for business related purposes. 

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Expert
Message 4 of 5

Go to solution

The international prefix is +.

00 used to be used, and can still be used from the UK, but it's best to use + as if you are ever in a country that doesn't use 00 you'll have a problem, while + works everyhere.

The international dialling code for the US is 1, so it's +1 and then the area code and number.

Regular calls abroad from mobiles are very expensive (unless you have a plan that makes them cheaper), it's much better to get VoIP solutions like WhatsApp, Viber, Hangouts, or a SIP-based solution, such as Localphone.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 5 of 5

Go to solution
I would concur. I use Tesco mobile and there is even am android app. I can call the USA or the Caribbean without burning through my data allowance or racking up a huge Bill.
0 Ratings