cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Message 1 of 22

Different sort of email delay

I was checking emails on Thunderbird at about 8:00 am just now, computer had been running all night, Thunderbird was open, so I clicked on the Task bar icon, and spotted an email notification appearing as they do at bottom right. Assuming it had just arrived I was surprised that it didn't show at the top of the Inbox. Went to Webmail and there it was at the top of the webmail inbox time stamped 0618.

Yet I now see it in Thunderbird time stamped ysterday at 1026.

Here are the relevant bits of the headers.

Can anyone explain the reason for this unacceptable delay please?

Is anyone else experiencing such delays?

X-Apparently-To:MEtinternet.com via 188.125.84.49; Sat, 26 Oct 2013 05:18:16 +0000
Return-Path: <SENDER AT ntlworld.com>
Received-SPF: neutral (65.20.0.12 is neither permitted nor denied by domain of ntlworld.com)
X-YMailISG: 2..............
Authentication-Results: mta1015.bt.mail.ir2.yahoo.com  from=ntlworld.com; domainkeys=neutral (no sig);  from=ntlworld.com; dkim=neutral (no sig)
Received: from 127.0.0.1  (EHLO smtpin23.bt.ext.cpcloud.co.uk) (65.20.0.12)
  by mta1015.bt.mail.ir2.yahoo.com with SMTP; Sat, 26 Oct 2013 05:18:16 +0000
Received: from know-smtprelay-omc-9.server.virginmedia.net (80.0.253.73) by smtpin23.bt.ext.cpcloud.co.uk (8.6.100.99.10161)
        id 52xxxxxxxxx403 for ME AT btopenworld.com; Sat, 26 Oct 2013 06:18:16 +0100
Received: from [192.168.0.6] ([86.13.xxx.xxx])
    by know-smtprelay-9-imp with bizsmtp
    id hMSy1m00b2zlYYN01MSzxf; Fri, 25 Oct 2013 10:26:59 +0100
X-Originating-IP: [86.13.xxx.xxx]
X-Spam: 0
X-Authority: v......=:117
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable
Subject: Music
Date: Fri, 25 Oct 2013 10:26:58 +0100
Message-Id: <582xxxxxxxx5346@ntlworld.com>
To: MEW <ME AT btopenworld.com>
Mime-Version: 1.0 (Apple Message framework v1085)
X-Mailer: Apple Mail (2.1085)
Content-Length: 724

0 Ratings
21 REPLIES 21
Highlighted
Recognised Expert
Message 2 of 22

Re: Different sort of email delay

I cannot explain why it is happening but a few observations that may be helpful.

1. Virgin Media / Blueyonder users are complaining about delays to btinternet addresses

http://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Email/email-delays/td-p/2023712

2.  Looking at your header the delay is between a virgin server and a cpcloud server. At first glance this looks like a virgin problem but only the time received by the cpcloud server is given not the initial time that the virgin server tried to send the email. SO it could still be a CP problem.

3.  FYI in thunderbird the Date column is the time sent but you can have a Received column and in the present circumstances it may be useful to have both.

Highlighted
Message 3 of 22

Thanks for the support guys.

I'm puzzled - what's a virginmedia server doing in between a ntlworld and a BT customer?

Can't figure out how to introduce a received column in Tbird, but I had only a quick look, so will try again.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 22

@FloFosterJenkins wrote:

I'm puzzled - what's a virginmedia server doing in between a ntlworld and a BT customer?

Virginmedia took over NTL, so their kit is still in place.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NTL_Incorporated

Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 22

@FloFosterJenkins wrote:

Can't figure out how to introduce a received column in Tbird, but I had only a quick look, so will try again.

recvd.jpg

Highlighted
Recognised Expert
Message 6 of 22

@FloFosterJenkins wrote:

Is BT and Critical Path investigating this? Do you wish to see headers? Do they help you investigate the problem? I'll send them if they do, but I would appreciate it if you tell me that I'm just **bleep** in the wind.

****PS. Would it be a good idea for someone to merge this thread with

http://community.bt.com/t5/Other-BB-Queries/delayed-email/td-p/1059142 ? ****

This should be picked up by a moderator to initiate an investigation by Virgin and Critical Path as it is likely to be a general problem affecting every Btinternet account  in receipt of Virgin, NTL and Blueyonder emails.

The headers are useful to illustrate the problem.

I do not think it would be a good idea to merge with the other thread but a reference to it is useful.

Highlighted
Message 7 of 22

@vofsanity2 wrote:

@FloFosterJenkins wrote:

Is BT and Critical Path investigating this? Do you wish to see headers? Do they help you investigate the problem? I'll send them if they do, but I would appreciate it if you tell me that I'm just **bleep** in the wind.

****PS. Would it be a good idea for someone to merge this thread with

http://community.bt.com/t5/Other-BB-Queries/delayed-email/td-p/1059142 ? ****

This should be picked up by a moderator to initiate an investigation by Virgin and Critical Path as it is likely to be a general problem affecting every Btinternet account  in receipt of Virgin, NTL and Blueyonder emails.

The headers are useful to illustrate the problem.

I do not think it would be a good idea to merge with the other thread but a reference to it is useful.

(my bold)

Thanks vofsanity2.

A colleague just phoned asking if I'd received his email sent earlier this morning. Couldn't speak to him then and can't right now, but there is no sign of the email yet.

BT this is a serious degrading of the service, and there is precious little support and acknowledgement from you about it.

Do you agree it would be courteous to say something? Is it a fault on that "road map" from which Critical Path are navigating? It's looking to me that they have encountered several fallen trees, or might be buried in a landslide.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Message 8 of 22

Hi Guys

We have highlighted this for investigation. 

Can I ask if you are affected by these delays to send us in an email using the contact us form in my profile.

Thanks

Stuart

Highlighted
Message 9 of 22

I have had a problem with my sisters emails being delayed by up to 48hrs but having reported the problem and spoken to 2nd line support, they tell me there is no general issue; so to evryone else having issues please report it.  This has been going on for over two weeks.  They come via Virgin Media.

I also reported that since Friday 25th October emails from Outlook at my work place are being delayed and eventually reported as undeliverable.  Again 1st and 2nd line support at BT told me there was no general issue; so to evryone else having issues please report it.

At the end of the call the second line person mentioned that the migration at BT of email is still ongoing and is due to be completed by October 31st.  So I am crossing my fingers that the issues will go away then.

I did request that they put general updates on the bt email page i.e http://home.bt.com/ where you then click on email; but the idea was not accepted - so to any moderators please would you pass this request through as it would be a sensible place to put updates.

Jackie

Tags (1)
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Message 10 of 22

I am also seeing a variable delay on emails to and from virgin and bt these delays can be upto 2 days
0 Ratings