Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
chachatwist
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 11

Dire Broadband

Hi Guys,

Hope you can help - I've recently come back to BT for my phone and broad band both were activated on the 17th March.  I am aware there is a 10 day training period but am just a little worried about the state of my broadband so far and am hoping you can put my mind at rest/point me in the right direction.

I was previously with sky (Connect as my exchange is un bundled) and received a pretty steady 300-400kbps download speed. (I am approx 4km from exchange as the crow flies) Thurs and Fri last week, according to sppedtester I was getting approx 2400 (off the top of my head) download speeds and was overjoyed, however on Saturday this dropped to 75 then yesterday 76.  Yesterday the broadband would hardly stay connected the light on the box just kept going out and it took me nearly all day to find a moment when it stayed connected long enough for me to run the speed test.

I suppose what I'm asking is, is this normal?  I actually had work to do from home yesterday and had to give up because I couldnt maintain a connection and when I did it took 10 minutes to load a webpage.

Thanks in advance

K

0 Ratings
10 REPLIES 10
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 11

Re: Dire Broadband

in order for someone to help or give suggestions can you post the adsl stats from your router may need to 'show detail' to get all stats (if hub enter 192.168.1.254 in your browser and navigate to adsl or use a-z, if netgear enter 192.168.0.1) and run btspeedtester http://speedtester.bt.com and post the results.

are you connected to the NTE5 master or test socket or somewhere else? Do you have any phone extension sockets in your home?

Have you tried the quiet line test? - dial 17070 option 2 - should hear nothing - best done with a corded phone

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
RedDice
Contributor
Message 3 of 11

I'm in exactly the same situation except after my 10 days I was told it was going to take another ten days... currently on 13 days and it's the worst speed I've had since dial up days.

I'm at a loss as what to do next, good luck with yours.

0 Ratings
chachatwist
Aspiring Contributor
Message 4 of 11

Thanks... after reading up on here I was going to do the quiet line test tonight when I get home.  I will redo speedtest also and post along with the router stats.

0 Ratings
chachatwist
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 11

Well things look brighter tonight for now at least:

ADSL Line Status
Connection Information
Line state:Connected
Connection time:1 days, 01:55:38
Downstream:2.125 Mbps
Upstream:448 Kbps

ADSL Settings
VPI/VCI:0/38
Type:PPPoA
Modulation:Unknown or no mode configured
Latency type:Interleaved
Noise margin (Down/Up):6.9 dB / 18.0 dB
Line attenuation (Down/Up):58.7 dB / 31.5 dB
Output power (Down/Up):18.4 dBm / 12.3 dBm
FEC Events (Down/Up):21618064 / 138
CRC Events (Down/Up):774 / 107
Loss of Framing (Local/Remote):0 / 0
Loss of Signal (Local/Remote):0 / 0
Loss of Power (Local/Remote):0 / 0
HEC Events (Down/Up):3790 / 160
Error Seconds (Local/Remote):5417 / 2909

0 Ratings
chachatwist
Aspiring Contributor
Message 6 of 11

Majorly different from yesterday and the hub appears to have stayed connected since I gave up yesterday afternoon.  I just hope its constant resetting hasnt hindered anything with the stabilisation.  I dont understand broadband or why it was so rocky yesterday.  THe line test was quiet by the way.

FAQ

Results Image not loaded

Test1 comprises of Best Effort Test: -provides background information.

Download  Speed

1591 Kbps

0 Kbps2000 Kbps
Max Achievable Speed

Download speedachieved during the test was - 1591 Kbps
 For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds is 400-2000 Kbps.
 Additional Information:
 Your DSL Connection Rate :2176 Kbps(DOWN-STREAM), 448 Kbps(UP-STREAM)
 IP Profile for your line is - 1750 Kbps
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 11

has there been a reset just speed on stats is 2125 but speedtester is 2176?

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
chachatwist
Aspiring Contributor
Message 8 of 11

Thanks for the speedy response 🙂 - I've not touched the hub since I set it up on Thursday.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 11

you don't have to touch the hub for a reset the hub can do that on it's own - you could check the uptime in the stats.  the 2 adsl speed should be the same - stats and speedtester

0 Ratings
chachatwist
Aspiring Contributor
Message 10 of 11

In that case it probably reset itself at some point yesterday evening going off the stats above - it was on and off all day
0 Ratings