cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
DakotaDog
Beginner
Message 1 of 6

Direct Debit Fail Service Cancellation question

Hello all, new member here. I have a question regarding a failed DD charge for my BT package. In general, how much time will I have between getting the failed debit notification from my bank to when BT will cut my service? Will they try the debit again? In general, what is the procedure? This is my first issue with failed billing, and down to my employer switching around our pay structure. Any info would be gtreatly appreciated. Thanking you all in advance.
0 Ratings
5 REPLIES 5
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 6

Re: Direct Debit Fail Service Cancellation question

Welcome to this user forum.

I will ask a moderator to advise.

0 Ratings
DakotaDog
Beginner
Message 3 of 6

thank you very much.
0 Ratings
NeilO
Message 4 of 6

@DakotaDog Welcome to the community and thanks for posting.

If a customers Direct Debit payment fails on the first attempt then we’ll take the following steps:

1. Send a letter asking for payment to be made within seven days
  2. We may contact them over the phone to discuss the issue
  3. Attempt to take the payment again seven days after the original failed payment

Your bank may charge for the first failed payment but we won’t.

If the second attempt at taking payment fails we’ll:

• Cancel the Direct Debit
  • Charge £10 on the next bill for the failed payment
  • Add restrictions to stop the customer using their services and start follow up procedures to prompt payment.
0 Ratings
DakotaDog
Beginner
Message 5 of 6

Thanks NeilO. A further question: Looking at the calendar, it appears as if the second attempt will occur the day before my next pay. Is the restriction of services immediate, or do I have a window in which to allow the funds in to my bank? Thank you for your time & trouble.
0 Ratings
NeilO
Message 6 of 6

@DakotaDog I believe it is immediate but the bill follow up timescales are influenced by different factors related to your BT account and payment history.  If you contact the billing team on this chat link they'll be able to confirm what will happen and when should the second direct debit fail. 

0 Ratings