cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
gelis
Beginner
Message 1 of 4

Direct debit not taken

I'm on a monthly direct debit and my latest payment (which should have been taken on 15 August) was marked on my bill as a failed payment - I'm therefore in debit.

I checked my bank account and found that the DD in favour of BT had been changed so that the start date was 13 August and no payment amount or frequency were listed. The answer I received when I consulted the bank was as follows:

"I am sorry to hear your concerns regarding Direct Debits to BT.

I can confirm it was noted that an OIN (Originators Identification Number) for BT Plc changed from 913067 to 445287 on 25 May 2016.

Therefore when this change happened with BT a new Direct will have been set up to replace an existing one with outdated information.

A direct debit is an arrangement between you and a third party company. The arrangement allows the company to debit your account on the date you have arranged between you and for an amount that can vary each month.

Regrettably the company does not provide prior notice to us as to when they are due to debit your account or for the amount they are going to request as the direct debit instruction allows this to change depending on the agreement you have set up with them.

If you have a query in regards to your direct debit, you will need to speak directly with BT."

Despite the May date quoted for a change, my June & July payments went through ok.

Question - what do I do next. I can't get through on the Live Chat line.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

0 Ratings
3 REPLIES 3
Telecom89
Recognised Expert
Message 2 of 4

Re: Direct debit not taken

I would assume the best thing you can do just now is make the payments due and then chase up the issue.

See: https://www.bt.com/s/apps/appsbills/index.htm

and: http://www.bt.com/help/home/bills.html

and: http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/c/761/a_id/50323/

Have you changed bank recently? Do your direct debits to other companies look ok?

I would assume that the direct debit guarantee also applies when a payment due hasn't been taken...

0 Ratings
gelis
Beginner
Message 3 of 4

Thanks - no other DDs are affected, and I haven't changed bank.

If I can change DD details online that's great - hopefully that will do the trick, but I still don't understand how/why this has happened, when I've been paying from the same account for years! Unnecessary aggravation.

Will clear the balance and see if the next dd due payment goes through - if not I'll be chasing!

0 Ratings
Telecom89
Recognised Expert
Message 4 of 4

Once you have made the payment it might be worth contacting the 'billing live chat' team via the link at the top of this forum to let them know that you have made this payment and to see if BT have made a recent erroneous change to your direct debit that caused this issue.

0 Ratings