Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 1 of 17

Disable spam filter in BT Yahoo mail

Go to solution

I have seen several posts related to this, but I can't seem to find any definitive solution.  I'm on BT Yahoo email and I want to autoforward all my email to another address and deal with any spam filtering myself.  BT Yahoo mail currently puts many items in the Spam folder, many of which I would like to see.  Autoforward does not unfortunately forward anything except mail which is delivered to the Inbox, nor is there any way to add other folders for forwarding.

There seems to be no way of turning the spam filter off.  I did try a workaround posted by someone which was to set up a filter of my own that diverts everything to the Inbox if the 'To' address on the incoming mail corresponds to mine.  Either the filter isn't working or the spam filter is applied before any custom filters.

I've spoken to a fair percentage of the Indian subcontinent about this but I'm no closer to a solution.  Am I missing something obvious or can someone shed a little light?  As someone else said, is it unreasonable of me to want to see all the mail that is addressed to me, not just a selection of BT's choosing?  I don't want to have to regularly log on to the web interface to look at the spam folder...

0 Ratings
16 REPLIES 16
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 17

Re: Disable spam filter in BT Yahoo mail

Go to solution

You are of course correct that it is not unreasonable to see all the email that is addressed to you including what goes to spam and that is why BTYahoo have provided you with is a spam folder that you can access by logging into your BTYahoo account. so they are fulfilling that.

What you are wanting is something else ie forwarding inbox and spam folder emails, and that is not supplied by BTYahoo and I suspect by the other email providers either.

What you could try is to set up an email client as an IMAP account and add all the email accounts that you want to access and you can check the spam folder from there without having to log onto webmail.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 17

Go to solution

If you select basic view in BTYahoo mail you can elect to disable spam filtering and forward all suspected spam (suitably annotated) to your inbox. Unfortunately, for some, this facility doesn't always work and suspected spam is still delivered to the spam folder rather than the inbox it is supposed to be delivered to.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 17

Go to solution

Is that feature not only available if you are downloading to POP3 account?

If you do manage to forward spam you may find that the email provider that you are forwarding spam to will pick it up and mark it as spam and their system so you should check to see what their policy/features are for dealing with this. 

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 17

Go to solution

@gg30340 wrote:

Is that feature not only available if you are downloading to POP3 account?

If you do manage to forward spam you may find that the email provider that you are forwarding spam to will pick it up and mark it as spam and their system so you should check to see what their policy/features are for dealing with this. 

Yes, missed the autoforwarding bit, I read the OP's request as downloading to a POP3 client. However, I would have hoped if the mail was set to forward that it should be done before any filtering but obviously not. I wonder if it is and is just another manifestation of the problem that not all spam is sent to a POP3 client for some users.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 17

Go to solution

I don't know how the forwarding is done but I would suspect it is done after it has been "received" by your account by which time the spam filters will have already designated what it deems is spam.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 17

Go to solution

Not sure, if it forwards without filtering to a POP3 client I would have thought it would do the same to another account. Unfortunately there is nobody we can ask for clarification as the 'mail team' appear not to talk to the mods let alone mere mortals. In an ideal world, we would be able to converse with people with knowledge to get answers to  such questions.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 17

Go to solution

Perhaps you can not forward spam. If you did, would that not be picked up by the email service you are forwarding to and your forwarding address could be blocked as a "spamming" address.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 9 of 17

Go to solution

Thank you gg30340 (and licquorice) for your quick replies.  I tried your solution of reverting to the 'basic' interface but I couldn't find any option to turn off the spam filter.  There is an option to include spam with POP-downloaded mail, (as there is in the 'enhanced' interface), but this seems to be mutually exclusive with the autoforwarding options...  I don't think there's any way to disable the SpamGuard filter.  There does seem to be an option in BT Mail, but BT can't or won't migrate me to that.  I will perhaps explore the custom filters a little more but if they're applied after the spam filter they won't be any use.

Having said all that, and for my particular case, this has an unexpected solution.  Just a bit of brief background.  I am trying to switch my email to an address based on a domain that I have registered in order to distance myself as far as possible from BT and their abjectly pathetic 'customer service'.  I decided to use Office 365 (with Outlook 2016 as my email client) and push email based on Exchange Server.  This has gone very well in general, except for handling 'legacy' (or extended as MicroSoft calls them) email addresses.  For any existing email addresses you may already be using when you move to Office 365 you can set them up on the Exchange mail server so that it uses POP to retrieve any mail that you may have received to those 'old' addresses and push it out to your new address.  This is what I did in the first instance and it works fine except that checks are only made every half hour or so for new mail, and there doesn't appear to be any option to make that more frequent.  The 'workaround' is set up your legacy email service so that that it autoforwards new mail to your new address.  That's what I tried with BT Yahoo mail and it was in the process of doing that that I noticed the 'spam' issue.  Initially I left both the POP retrieval and the autoforwarding active expecting to get duplicate emails, but that hasn't happened - I think probably because the autoforwarding marks the mail as 'read' and the POP retrieval which occurs later thinks it has already seen those mails.

Now to the 'accidental' solution for my particular setup.  I noticed by chance that a new folder called 'Bulk Mail' has been created in my Outlook profile - how that got created (Outlook, my own spam filtering (Norton), etc.) I've no idea.  Googling it there seems to be conflicting views as to whether it is an Outlook system folder or not, but it does look as though it could be deleted which seems to suggest it is not.  I have always used Outlook and POP email for retrieving my btinternet-addressed email, and this Bulk Mail folder is new with my Office 365 setup.  Anyway, I looked in that Bulk Mail folder and lo and behold, there are all my BT Yahoo mail spam emails.  As all mail going to my BT Yahoo Mail Inbox is now autoforwarded and delivered immediately to my Outlook Inbox, I can only assume the spam emails are being retrieved separately by the POP retrieval process.  Following a little more inconclusive Googling the only other clue I have is that if you look into the details of them, the spam email headers all seem to contain the string 'X-YahooFilteredBulk' whereas the non-spam mail headers do not.  Purely by chance this works even better for me than what I was trying to achieve in the first place!  I suppose Outlook must in some way use that or other data in the header detail to route the mail to the Bulk Mail folder.  I post this lengthy ramble here as it may be of some small interest or help to others who are trying to resolve a similar problem.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 17

Go to solution

For info. The spam filtering in BTMail is the same as BTYahoo in that you can only make the changes for POP3 accounts.

Glad to hear you have got it "sorted" and working how you want it.

0 Ratings