cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
meldrew61
Beginner
Message 1 of 4

Disappearing email!

I'm suddenly unable to access my email throughFirefox - just get a blank page though I can still get through Explorer.

Have "chatted" to Bt support who say that Frefox is corrupted and need to uninstall and reinstall. Asked them how this has happened, what are the consequences and how do I do the uninstall/reinstall thing. - I am computer illiterate.

After a long pause, the support guy came back and said I need to contact BT Tech experts but it looks to me that they charge a monthly fee.

Any advice please?

0 Ratings
3 REPLIES 3
Brighton_Rock
Aspiring Expert
Message 2 of 4

Re: Disappearing email!

@meldrew61 wrote:

I'm suddenly unable to access my email throughFirefox - just get a blank page though I can still get through Explorer.

Have "chatted" to Bt support who say that Frefox is corrupted and need to uninstall and reinstall. Asked them how this has happened, what are the consequences and how do I do the uninstall/reinstall thing. - I am computer illiterate.

After a long pause, the support guy came back and said I need to contact BT Tech experts but it looks to me that they charge a monthly fee.

Any advice please?

Well Firefox might be corrupt but it is unlikely and there are several other things to try first.

I would try clearing cookies (I'll spell it out in case you haven't used this bit of Firefox before): in Firefox go to options> options> privacy> show cookies> remove all cookies Try your email again.

If that doesn't work clear the cache as well: in Firefox go to options> options > advanced > network > [use the button to clear the cache] Try the email again.

Do you know if you have any add-ons/extensions in Firefox? Sometimes some can cause problems with specific sites. If you have (or don't know) the way to check if there is a problem there is to restart Firefox in what is known as Safe Mode (not to be confused with Windows Safe Mode). To restart Firefox without Add-ons go to Help >restart with add-on disabled.

Michael
0 Ratings
meldrew61
Beginner
Message 3 of 4

Thanks Michael, will try this but how do I get to the Firefox Safe Mode?
0 Ratings
Brighton_Rock
Aspiring Expert
Message 4 of 4

@meldrew61 wrote:
Thanks Michael, will try this but how do I get to the Firefox Safe Mode?

Help> restart with add-ons disabled

Not withstanding BT, I very much doubt that your Firefox has become corrupted. Just to remove that possibility try another site such as BBC. It is much more likely to be a browser problem and clearing cookies is is the first thing to try. Of course, at worst, you can use IE while we try to sort out why Firefox is being difficult.

Michael
0 Ratings