cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Message 1 of 8

Disappointing BT Infinity 2 install

I had the engineer visit to install BT infinity 2 on 02/06 following a new phone line being installed the week before. After the install I did a speedtest.net and got 47 down and 7 up, a little disappointing considering I live just round the corner from the street cab, have a new phone line and BT openreach show some promising estimates on their site:

openreach.PNG

Speedtest just completed a moment ago...

Now the download speed is not a million miles away from the impacted lower estimate, however the upload speed I'm seeing is really disapointing considering the openreach estimates above.

Some line stats from the Home Hub 5:

Firmware version:Software version 4.7.5.1.83.8.173.1.6 (Type A) Last updated 05/06/144.

Board version:BT Hub 5A5.

VDSL uptime:0 days, 02:05:046.

Data rate:7876 / 507367.

Maximum data rate:7642 / 499168.

Noise margin:5.5 / 5.59.

Line attenuation:0.0 / 24.310.

Signal attenuation:0.0 / 22.211.

Data sent/received:383.4 MB / 1.5 GB

Would appreciate any feedback / suggestions.. Can I expect this to improve?

Cheers,

Tom

0 Ratings
7 REPLIES 7
Highlighted
Distinguished Guru
Message 2 of 8

Re: Disappointing BT Infinity 2 install

There's something wrong with those line stats, there's too many digits in the numbers
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
If you found this post helpful, please click on the star on the left
If not, I'll try again 🙂
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Message 3 of 8

Sorry, ingore the oddness it's just not copied from my phone so well (can't access from laptop for unrelated reasons).

Should be..

Data Rate  7876 / 50736

Max Data Rate  7649 / 49717

Noise Margin  5.5 / 5.5

Line attenuation  0.0 / 24.3

Signal attenuation  0.0 / 22.2

Cheers,

Tom

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Guru
Message 4 of 8

Doesn't look promising but you'll have to let it settle down for a couple of days.

Did he replace the master socket?
Is there anything unusual about the install?
If not, I'll try again 🙂
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Message 5 of 8

The Infinity engineer replaced the master faceplate yes, has two ports, one for the HH the other for a phone.

The only thing that is a little odd with the install I suppose is the fact that it's on a new build, completely new line out from the street into the property. 

Are BT typically willing to investigate slower than expected lines when the different from the estimate is wildly different?

Thanks for the feedback, will see if it improves over the next few days. 

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Message 6 of 8

Bumping this thread as my sync speed has barely improved with 10 days now over since install.

Data rate: 7876 / 50736

Max data rate: 7512 / 52211

Noise margin: 5.2 / 5.4

Line attenuation: 0.0 / 24.3

Signal attenuation: 0.0 / 22.2

Recent speed test:

What is more annoying than the lower than expected sync speed however is the frequent drops. Looking in the WAN log I can see frequent disconnects:

PPP LCP Send Termination Request [User request]

With these disconnects occuring frequently I guess this explains the lower than expected sync with the DLM keeping the sync rate low? I suspect these termination errors suggest a hardware fault with the HH, on the line or at the exchange?

Can one of the mods take a look and advise?

Thanks,

Tom

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Guru
Message 7 of 8

You're being limited by noise on the line. This may be due to a poor install or a line fault. Either way, you'll need an engineer.
If not, I'll try again 🙂
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Recognised Expert
Message 8 of 8

The noise margin looks ok at 5.5db and your speed is moving upwards. There may have been noise or a poor install but the speed is recovering. It is probable that the mods won't intervene until the speed reaches a plateau.

The HH5 is prone to dropping connection as has been reported on this forum - one of the reasons it isn't well liked.

The speed is below the lower limit but it could well recover to above 56mb within the next week - not that you will be happy with it as you ideally want it closer to the 80.

I would keep posting the hub stats and when it does plateau then the mods hopefully will help.

0 Ratings