cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Endless
Beginner
Message 1 of 6

Discover external IP address

My IP address for my Infinity 2 hub at home has changed. Is there a remote way of finding out what the new external IP address is, for example from My BT? Does BT hold this in MY BT account info? I do not leave any PCs/laptops on at home all day and don't wish to leave any on just to occassionally determine my IP address using remote access s/w. Thanks for any help.

0 Ratings
5 REPLIES 5
pottyperson
Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 2 of 6

Re: Discover external IP address

Is this what you want?

--
You can click the thumbs up icon below this message if you think it was helpful.
0 Ratings
gg30340
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 6

I presume you want the address of your router while you are away from home rather than your computers IP address because that will be switched off.  As far as I am aware this is not shown on MyBt or if it is I can't find it, nor is it when you login to BTYahoo. It only shows the IP address you are presently at. No doubt if I am wrong somebody else will correct this.

I found this on the Microsoft site which may point you in the right direction:

While you're still at home and connected to your home network, open a web browser and search for "find IP address" to find a service that will report your router's public IP address. Unfortunately, some computers are given a different IP address each time they connect to the Internet. An Internet service provider (ISP) can use a few IP addresses to serve many customers that way, but it means that your computer's address on the Internet is always changing.

To get around the problem of a frequently changing IP address, try a DNS dynamic update service, which allows you to assign a URL to your router that you can use instead of an IP address. The URL stays the same no matter how often the IP address changes. To find a service, search for "DNS dynamic update" on the Internet.

0 Ratings
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 6

There is some information on this page which may help.

ddns

0 Ratings
bilbo_james
Contributor
Message 5 of 6

If, as I think, you're trying to find your IP address so that you can contact something at home (like CCTV or a web server etc) then you should use a dynamic dns provider.
There are a few free ones like dyndns.org and by using it you will never need to worry about your IP address again, so it can change as often as it likes and you'll always be able to contact your home address.
0 Ratings
01whylove
Beginner
Message 6 of 6

Hi,Endless

I would like to suggest you to use the site www.IP-Details.com  to find the external Ip or Internet Ip address.

0 Ratings