cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Roisin
Beginner
Message 11 of 16

Re: Disgusted by BT bad service and Open Reach - charged for neighbour cutting our BT line.

Regards the charge, you will have to go after your neighbour for the cost, if they're being obstinate about it you may well have to go to small claims court, however as its you wanting the connection its you the BT and openreach bill will go to in order to connect you, unfortunately that's the way it runs, whether its phone lines, sewerage pipes or a wasps nest, (don't ask about the latter, that example is from personal experience!) but you do have a claim against your neighbour fairly straightforwardly there as long as you can show its him/her who cut the line initially, which I'm guessing you can...

The engineer, I'd go through the official complaints procedures, although sometimes, how much good that does (in any company) I have my doubts, I often feel I'm being told what I want to hear and totally ignored in reality, however, if enough complaints are logged against any specific person a company does flag it up, but if people don't complain thinking it'll do no good, then how many complaints are not being logged?  So, even if you feel nothing will be done, at least register that complaint...

BT will change your phone number for you, for free, but I'm guessing you're not with BT for your Internet?  It could be worth simply swallowing the anger and getting a change of phone number then sending the paid bill receipt from your Internet supplier to BT with your evidence of the previous use of the initial phone number you were given (especially if that number was in use in the last 6 months).  At worst, your nuisance calls should stop, registering with TPS etc can take up to 3 months, and to be honest most of your calls are unlikely to be affected by this as it was a business number initially and out in the public domain to everyone, so people running across the number which as you have stated is still out there and attached to this company, even if out of date, are likely to call it for some time to come.  Best case scenario, BT apologise and apply the charge as a refund to your next bill, if you state your case well this isn't too far fetched an idea...   Not sure how to address the Internet downtime, perhaps ask your supplier if there is any way to shorten it?  Maybe have a set date for the number change with some advance warning would help them set it up a little faster? I would ask them...

You can block unwanted calls with BT, from blocking withheld numbers to a package where you can specify numbers to be withheld, however these are paid for packages, and in my opinion exorbitant, BUT there is another solution to this, you can register for the free caller display with BT privacy and there are phones on the market which will allow you to set them up so that only certain phone numbers will actually activate the ringer, so you could set up the nuisance calls and withheld numbers to simply not activate the ringer, not perfect as the calls still come through, but easily ignorable as half the time you won't even realise you've had a phone call as its been silent, and far cheaper in the long run than signing up to the BT call blocking services...

Keeping a record of all your phone calls can be useful too, especially if you do decide to change your number and ask for your charges from your Internet provider to be paid, just remember to take a deep breath before you talk to each person, they have the ability to simply cut you off if you start getting irate with them and even a simple "**bleep**" can be counted as swearing and then you have to go through all the hassle of getting through again and it becomes a vicious cycle as you get more and more wound up and less and less able to deal with people efficiently yourself.  And if they have a recording of you being even faintly abusive on your calls (no matter how justified you may feel, how long it took to get through to someone, how many people you have been through, how long you've been on hold, etc etc...) it becomes impossible to ask for recompense...

All in, good luck, all I can say is I've been with BT for some years, I've had my fair share of hassles with them, but usually have found myself dealt with fairly, for me I just have to think back to the reason I left my previous supplier (and seriously, BT is like a haven in comparison despite a similar start to my contract with them) to know that there is worse out there!

0 Ratings
john46
Distinguished Sage
Message 12 of 16

Re: Disgusted by BT bad service and Open Reach - charged for neighbour cutting our BT line.

Number changes are now chargeable unless the number is changed because of threatening calls that have been reported to the police and BT 's malicious call unit with a crime number
0 Ratings
Roisin
Beginner
Message 13 of 16

Mine was changed about 3 weeks ago at no charge, no problems, I was surprised and expressed that surprise as I had expected to be charged but was informed that they no longer charge for a number change.

0 Ratings
john46
Distinguished Sage
Message 14 of 16

The charge was started last year anyway good luck to you if you had it done at no charge
0 Ratings
Roisin
Beginner
Message 15 of 16

I have been charged before, and way over a year ago, it used to be around £10 or so (although as I say, that was some years ago) and I was fully expecting a charge (even up to £50) and happy to pay, but was adamantly informed there was no longer a charge.  Perhaps this is a service for people who have been with BT for some specified time? but I didn't get that impression and the operator readily agreed that they used to charge so perhaps this is a recent change?  Whichever, it never hurts to ask, although I think for the OP the main problem was the charge from his/her internet provider, which will invariably really come down to how any letter asking for reimbursement is received, and no matter what company you deal with those outcomes are never predictable!

Seriously, good luck with it, and with keeping your temper, think most of us have been there, can't we ban being put on hold worldwide please??

0 Ratings
john46
Distinguished Sage
Message 16 of 16

The charge is now£25.00 for a number change
0 Ratings