I just thought I would share my dreadful experience with OpenReach, no other reason but to let off some steam and hope that someone with a sense of customer service might pick this up and do something about it.
I recently requested from BT a shift of my Master Socket after my first post on this forum http://community.bt.com/t5/Phones/Moving-a-BT-Master-Socket/m-p/756660
I finally booked and an engineer was due to come at some point in the afternoon between 1pm and 6pm to perform the work on Tuesday (06/03/2013). It got to 6pm and so I rang the BT helpline to enquiry. I was on the phone for about 40 minutes, being transferred and put on hold 3 times before being put through to someone who said that the work had been completed. When I tried to explain that it couldn't possibly have been completed because no one had even turned up at the property, the person I was speaking to hung up on me mid sentence!
I immediately logged a complaint with BT and am still to receive a response.
This morning I received an e-mail saying my supplementary bill is available online and sure enough, a charge of £130 is pending in my account - one again for work that has not been completed.
I contacted BT via their chat to request that the charge be removed from bill, but the response was that as the work has been completed, they could not issue a refund. When I challenged that the work had not been completed, the assistant on the other end of the chat informed me that "the engineer has left notes on the system to say that the shift was completed and demonstrated with you". She also stated that the engineer's note said the job was completed at 15:38. I queried whether a signature a signature is required to demonstrate that the work has been completed - she said there is no signature. When I asked whether is it a case of my word against their's? I received no answer.
I have wasted so much time and effort on this and it is frustrating that the engineer appears to have been incredibly dishonest about the work. If they were delayed and couldn't make it but let me know, then not ideal but I would have understood and at least I wouldn't be in this position now.
Anyway, rant over. I will try and remember to post if and when this gets resolved.
that really is disgusting service and outright lies from openreach. hopefully mod will contact you shortly
Thanks for posting. This doesn’t sound good at all. I’ll be happy to look into it for you. Can you please drop me an email with the details. You’ll find the “contact us” form in the about me section of my profile.
Just an update as where I am on this for anyone who is interested.
David the moderator got back to me and it was agreed that the charge would be removed from my bill. However it is four days later and the charge is still there. I appreciate all of David's help so far but unfortunately whatever system BT has in place to manage these issues isn't working. My bill is due in eight days time and if the charge is debited from my account then I will be taking BT to court.
Interestingly enough, no explanation has been provided as to why this utter shambles has even occurred, but judging by this recent article and some of the responses, I am fairly certain this type of thing is not uncommon.
I have already commented my experience on the article but I think I will probably drop the author a note in case he wishes to do a follow up case study. There is clearly some interest in this.
FWIW, I had a refund issue a while ago - not a lot of money, but mine nonetheles. India were no help for 3 consecutive bills, but the mods (I think Craig on this instance) sorted everything out within a few hours. He managed to apply the refund to my current bill so it wasn't deducted from my DD, but as it was so close to the billing date the online bill didn't show this. The following months bill showed that the money had caught up with the bill statement.