Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
N0STIE
Aspiring Expert
Message 1 of 15

Distance to the cabinet and speed / Openreach modem

Hi,

I am planning myself to get either ECI or Huawei openreach modem. Not sure which one I should buy ECI one or Huawei HG612 3B. What are the pros of using the openreach modem? Does it have to be attached to my HH5 or do I use the modem instead of the HH5? Will it help me to remove heavy interleaving from my line?

By the way I was just walking around the area to check on which cabinet I am on.

Found 1 cab which is maximum 400-500m away from me but not sure if it is BT FFTC cab or virgins one, although there is number 14 white painted on it. Same number as here https://www.dslchecker.bt.com/  If this is the cab I am connected to, why am I only getting 40mbps?

This one looks like this.

cabinet.jpg

According to the graph I should be getting over 50mbps if I am connected to this one. Assuming that, cause of the number.

The other one is at the end of the main street which is about 700-800m away. I may be connected to this one as I am only getting 40/8.

cabinet2.jpg

123.jpg

What I can see the cab I am connected to is ECI? So shall I get ECI or Huawei openreach modem then?

0 Ratings
14 REPLIES 14
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 15

Re: Distance to the cabinet and speed / Openreach modem

you are on an ECI cabinet.  I would hang off getting a modem just now until you see the outcome of G.INP on ECI cabs

you are on cab 14 but you need to remember the phoneline may not follow the shortest route to your home or even follow the road.  the dslchecker estimate is what you should base your connection speed on

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
N0STIE
Aspiring Expert
Message 3 of 15

So am I connected to the cabinet which is on the first picture? I am using HH5 Type B, does G.INP still affects me? by the way can you explain me what G.INP is and what it does?

0 Ratings
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 15

the cab in first pic is the old pcp but there should be another cab close by like the one on the left in second pic

with a hh5b I would hold off doing anything about G.INP

you can read about it here  https://community.bt.com/t5/BT-Infinity-Speed-Connection/G-INP-affecting-certain-eci-modems-resultin...

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
N0STIE
Aspiring Expert
Message 5 of 15

Yes there is one Infinity cab like 20-30m away from that old pcp cab. When will G.INP go off?

0 Ratings
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 15

you are on an ECI cab and therefore G.INP is not active as there are problems with G.INP and ECI cabs  if you read the link I posted you will be up to date

0 Ratings
N0STIE
Aspiring Expert
Message 7 of 15

I have read that Huawei HG612 may help me to lower the latency and even increase a bit of speed. The only problem I am having is down noise margin dropping to 4.5dB from stable 6.0-6.4dB every 1-2 days which causes my HH5 to reboot or sometimes I must reboot it myself, because the connection is unusable, having lag spikes, high packet loss, like speed tests show my download speed of 0.01mbps. I have even tried to unplug vdsl cable and plug it back on. Basically every reboot makes my ping even higher by few ms. I thought the modem would resolve the problem with stability of the connection.

0 Ratings
Barry57
Expert
Message 8 of 15

Agree with the other  more knowledgeable posters about not getting an eci/r modem untill bt openreach sorts out this retransmission stuff.

My Unlocked HG612 3B works well on my line which is connected to an eci green street box.  

Also you can  use an {unlocked} hg612 3b  with some great graphing software so you can see whats happening with the connection 24/7 🙂

Although,  with the SNR moving around you may have a fault so it might be wise to go through the checks first if not already ?

To see if the line checks come back with anything that might need an openreach visit.

https://www.bt.com/consumerFaultTracking/public/faults/reporting.do?pageId=21

Also check if there is anything up locally with openreach's new checker tool.
http://www.homeandwork.openreach.co.uk/problems-with-your-phone-or-broadband/search.aspx

Finally the Quiet Line Test

With the telephone connected to the BT test socket dial 17070. 

Choose option 2

You should here nothing if the line if fault free even bad weather. 

http://support.zen.co.uk/kb/Knowledgebase/Performing-a-Quiet-Line-Test

If after all that...... the line comes back with no faults found 

The HG612 3B's do calm the line down if the hh5 has been mischievous ...:)

0 Ratings
NewtronStar
Expert
Message 9 of 15

Think you maybe 800-1000 meters from the FTTC cabinet from the BT estimated sync speed, You said your SNRM drops 1-2 days but to me i would say your SNRM lowers every evening to 4.5dB and rises to 6.3dB during daylight hours.

I found turning off the VDSL modem for 30 minutes when the SNRM is at it lowest point and turn on this stopped the re-syncs it will lower your Sync but will increase your SNRM.

it's a classic result on a longer line due to atmospheric RFI getting inside the copper side of FTTC there is not much you can do to stop this all you can do is make your internal wireing better use a MK3 faceplate .

0 Ratings
N0STIE
Aspiring Expert
Message 10 of 15

Thanks Barry for your reply!

Few weeks ago engineer checked my phone line and said it is working perfectly fine, no noises at all.

It might be a problem with a broadband line. I noticed that down noise margin is dropping at evenings now is 5.9dB and tomorrow it will drop to 4.5dB I am sure about it. The uptime is now 1 day and 5 hours. Down noise margin is always above 6.0dB throughout the day.

The openreach checker says "No major incident reported".

@NewtronStar

Once it drops to 4.5dB it never goes up unless I reboot the HH5 or it does it itself. The noise margin is very jumpy when it happens, every page refresh it changes from 4.3dB-4.9dB. Up noise margin is fine, always above 6dB. I am also using MK3 faceplate, there is no internal wiring as I checked it using test socket and the result is the same. 

0 Ratings