Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
23prince
Contributor
Message 11 of 20

Re: Ditched my Homehub 5

@sgt_bilko wrote:

My Infinity connection was reliable and fast until last July when it started to become a pain with intermittent dropouts a few times a day and frequent delays before starting to connect with sites. I called BT about this a few times and they would reset the line after which it seemed to improve for a short while but it was never a lasting solution. 

Yesterday I had a look inside the router control panel and noticed there had been a BT firmware upgrade in July, which seems to coincide with the start of my problems but this is not something I could control and I was reluctant to spend a lot of money on a new router that might not solve the problem. The old Bt homehub 3 router/modem was sat unused in the loft but I wanted to get away from the problem of BT router firmware upgrades and I remembered this router also had problems in the past.

Luckily I had an unused TP-Link TL-WR840N that cost less than £20 and was purchased for my daughter while she was living in the university halls but this router does not contain a modem. The solution was to use the old home hub 3 modem and hook it up to the TP-Link router, since when my connection has been transformed. No more lousy delays and having to hit the enter key 2-3 times before it would start to connect. Also no more dropouts and lost wi-fi during the last 24 hours. 

I know you can buy cheap router/modems now for about £35 that should probably work just as well but it strikes me that the real culprit here is not the BT homehub but their firmware upgrades that we have no control over. I will see how this goes over the next few days but at the moment I think I shall avoid BT routers in future. 

EDIT: Just remembered to add that this is working fine with YouView and I have had a lot of YouView issues in the past. No problems either with Amazon Fire TV. These are my new speeds using wi-fi and the router is on the other side of the house: 

I had the same problem, £60 and a Billion 8800NL solved the problem. I have to say I was starting to think it was a problem with my equipment.  It seemed for me to be a problem via Ethernet as wifi still carried on working (as it did for you by the sounds of it) 

But tonight for the first time ever my internet has slowed down from 74 to 59 and I don't know why. 😕

0 Ratings
Blueballs
Beginner
Message 12 of 20

Hello there.....have ditched / replaced every one of BT routers provided across the years.....has cost a few pennies along the way but definately been worth it
0 Ratings
23prince
Contributor
Message 13 of 20

HI Blue 🙂

I put my hh5 back on and within 30 minutes I had the dreaded 45 seconds- 2 minutes of pages loading. Not had it at all with the belkin (although I have had slow speeds lately) so I am sticking with that
0 Ratings
sgt_bilko
Contributor
Message 14 of 20

The annoying point is that I gather BT are not very helpful if you call them with problems while using a non BT router, yet I've spent hours on the phone while they were trouble shooting issues caused by their own router. 

0 Ratings
licquorice
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 15 of 20

@sgt_bilko wrote:

The annoying point is that I gather BT are not very helpful if you call them with problems while using a non BT router, yet I've spent hours on the phone while they were trouble shooting issues caused by their own router. 

Don't tell them then Smiley Wink

0 Ratings
sgt_bilko
Contributor
Message 16 of 20

I thought they could tell what router you are using when they run checks. 

0 Ratings
licquorice
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 17 of 20

Can't see how.

0 Ratings
sgt_bilko
Contributor
Message 18 of 20

Just an assumption based on the comments they make when troubleshooting over the phone about how they can see the router etc. There have also been times when they have wanted to take remote control of the computer or asked me to log endless tests and I am never too happy about that. Hopefully I won't need to call them anymore. 

0 Ratings
licquorice
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 19 of 20

I would never allow anybody to take remote control of my PC, certainly not somebody at the BT 'helpdesk'.

0 Ratings
sgt_bilko
Contributor
Message 20 of 20

I don't think they should even be allowed to suggest it, yet some can be quite pushy and I imagine some elderly people in particular might feel they have no choice.
0 Ratings