Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
crazyrouter123
Beginner
Message 1 of 5

Dividing bandwidth equally

Go to solution

Hello, I have a problem.

One member of the household has taken it upon themself to use an unfair amount of bandwidth via a bittorrent client. I would like to know if there is any way possible for me to divide bandwidth equally among all, or selected, devices to ensure that I can get enough bandwidth to play games and do other things. Ideally, this division of bandwidth would only occur when devices are connected to the router and using it enough to justify the action, so it would be "intelligent division" if you will.

Router: BT Home Hub 4 (Type A)

Software version 4.7.5.1.83.8.130.1.26

I understand that some members of this forum will see this as a "people issue" rather than a technical one. This is true, but not all people can be reasoned with.

0 Ratings
4 REPLIES 4
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 5

Re: Dividing bandwidth equally

Go to solution

Its not possible with a home hub 4, you would have to use a router which has bandwidth controls.

Some of the TP Link ADSL routers have this facility.

http://www.tp-link.com/en/faq-557.html

I assume you are on ADSL.

I suggest TP-LINK TD-W8968

0 Ratings
licquorice
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 5

Go to solution

You need to get a proper QoS capable router to be able to do that, can't be done with a Home Hub.

0 Ratings
crazyrouter123
Beginner
Message 4 of 5

Go to solution

If I were to purchase a non-BT router, such as the one you suggested, how would I go about getting my internet connection? When setting up the router there was no username and password as far as I know, or would it be done automatically through some kind of house address or home phone number detection?

0 Ratings
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 5

Go to solution

@crazyrouter123 wrote:

If I were to purchase a non-BT router, such as the one you suggested, how would I go about getting my internet connection? When setting up the router there was no username and password as far as I know, or would it be done automatically through some kind of house address or home phone number detection?

Its a generic user name for all BT connections.

You can use something like broadbanduser@btbroadband.com and a password of bt, or bthomehub@btbroadband.com and a password of bt.

Authentication is by the port you are connected to in the exchange.