cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
harveyzone
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 18

Do BT Open Reach engineers ever turn up?

Today I have waited in all morning for an Engineer to visit and fix my non-existant Infinity installation. They didn't show and when I called I was told that he wasn't coming. No call or text to cancel the appointment.

This was a strange feeling of Dej-vu as this is an almost exact repeat of my experience of Tuesday.

On Saturday 19th they 'upgrade my service from standard ADSL to Infinity 2, or as I no call it - no internat access. After being mildly annoyed, and gone through all the standard checks with the helpdesk - reboot router, make sure it is correctly plugged in (even though it worked perfectly with ADSL the day before), reboot router again, move it to the master socket, reboot router again etc with both first and second line support they arranged for an engineer visit. They further rubbed salt in the wound be texting me with their standard text about a non-negotiable £129.99 charge for a wasted visit or if I broke the system.

I have now arranged for a third visit (no - not a third visit - a third appointment for first visit) on Saturday, so at least I don't have to have any more time off work, but am wondereing if they will pay my non-negotiable £129.99 charge for each wasted non-visit, a rate which they have established to be the going rate.

Do Open Reach engineers ever turn up, or will I be wasting a Saturday morning waitin gin for them?

Increasingly frustrated,

Tom. 

0 Ratings
17 REPLIES 17
Ectophile
Distinguished Guru
Message 2 of 18

Re: Do BT Open Reach engineers ever turn up?

They do turn up eventually.  It just takes several attempts.

Don't forget to claim your £10 refund for each missed appointment.  Don't spend it all at once.

0 Ratings
pottyperson
Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 3 of 18

It defies belief that Openreach and BT Retail between them can still fail to perform the basic task of keeping the customer informed. Even couriers, who have hardly set world records for good service in the past, tend to go out of their way these days to keep in touch. It's down to communication, which should not be beyond a company which provides, er, comunications.

Please report back here if it's not sorted tomorrow.

--
You can click the thumbs up icon below this message if you think it was helpful.
0 Ratings
MPEDLAR
Aspiring Contributor
Message 4 of 18

£129.99 if you miss them, but a £10 refund if they don't bother turning up?

A few choice words that I don't dare to post come to mind...

0 Ratings
harveyzone
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 18

Thanks for the supportive feedback. It is exactly these two points that have been made that make me so angry...

1) Things happen, mistakes get made, and engineers get delayed/called away etc - I am sure we are all mature enough to accept that this is the case - but the inabilty to track this within the organisation and to keep me informed when things do change is inexcusable. If they had contacted me in the morning to appologise and explain the situation then I would still have felt frustration and anger, but ultimately it would have taken the sting out of the tail and I would have much less bad feeling toward them. Not once have they contacted me to let me know that things have changed. I have always had to tell them!

2) Half a day of their time is worth £129.99 but half a day of my time is worth £10.00 (I am actually suprised that it is this much if I am honest). And this is not negotiable. This alone demonstates their attitude to their customers and why they find it so easy to abandon visits. If it were costing them 13x more for each abandoned visit then it may concentrate the mind a little more.

As mentioned, I have now booked a third attempt for Saturday morning so at least I don't have to take time off work for this one, but I am restricted to what I can do tomorrow, and there is no knowing whether the engineer will be able to fix the problem anyway. Let's take it one step at a time and see if they can actually make it on site first. 🙂

Grrrr.

MPEDLAR
Aspiring Contributor
Message 6 of 18

I would also double check that the engineer does actually need access to your property.

I was in this same situation, I waited in all day for an engineer who never turned up or called to tell me they weren't going to turn up.

Upon me booking a new date (8th October, so still anticipating that) I immediately get a text and an email telling me that I don't need to wait in for my appointment, as the engineer doesn't need access to my property. They only need to tinker with the local exchange box.

Not only did I wait in for an engineer who never turned up, I needn't have been there in the first place!

That said however, I'm not sure what luck you'd have in finding out if it is necessary for your to be there, and if you're misled and told that you don't need to be, but it turns out that actually you do, then they're probably going to want that £129.99 off you.

0 Ratings
harveyzone
Aspiring Contributor
Message 7 of 18

I am very pleased to report that BT Open Reach engineers do indeed exist, and that a very helpful engineer arrived on site at around 09:00 on suturday morning. Third time lucky!

I am rather more disappointed to report that after 2 hours of tests, phone calls, more tests, visits to the cabinet, and back again, I am still without Internet. It transpires that there are now four customers on the cabinet, of which I beleive I was the first, who have the same fault. and it would seem that no-one has actually got a succesful live connection to the new fibre broadband yet. The engineer did make a passing comment about them never testing the cabinets with real connections when they go live, and leaving it to the early adopters to be the guinea pigs.

A second line cabinet engineer (or whatever they call them) is scheduled to visit the cabinet this morning, as they apparently do not work weekends. This too is somewhat annoying. When I booked the saturday morning visit I was hesitant. I explicitly asked if a weekend visit would have the full support of the backup teams etc, and I was given assurances that they would have. When the engineer asked for a cabinet reset (can't remember the exact term he used), however, he struggled to find anyone who could do it at the weekend.

The engineer also wanted to put a new MK3 faceplate on my master socket. I couldn't let him do this, as my router, in it's natural position, sits on an extension under the stairs and connects to a patchpanel and switch in a comms cabinet for a cabled home network. Fitting the new socket would make the extension filtered for voice only and unable to connect, but leaving it by the master socket would leave my network cut off from the outside world. He gave me the official line about speed degredation on my cabling, BT not supporting future issues and chqrging for visits, that it must be an engineer instalation etc. In the end he left me the wall plate so I could do it myself... Engineer visit? For a 30 second plate that sits between the exsisting front and back plates and requires no re-wiring!?! Do they not allow for anything outside the default master socket by the front door setup?

Anyway I will see, when I get home tonight, if there is any change to my internet access?

It continues...

0 Ratings
harveyzone
Aspiring Contributor
Message 8 of 18

And there's more...

I have just nipped home to see if it was working yet. Nope. So I called them back to find out what was happening.

I am now told that it is a problem with the DSLAM at the exchange and is affecting numerous people. I am not 100% convinced as I have had the problem for 9 days now, and the DSLAM issue only came to their attention a couple of days ago, so it could be one issue masking another. Or it could have taken them that long to work it out, and it is just coincidence that it happened when I was migrated.

Anyway, they have said that it will be fixed on Wednesday when the hardware is replaced.

Is it just me or do BT work in 2 day blocks. The standard answer being that it will be resolved in 2 days time.

Call logged Saturday and 2nd line call back on Sunday.

Failed visit Tuesday - Rebooked for Thursday.

Failed visit Thursday - Rebooked for Saturday.

Successfull visit Saturday - said it would be fixed on Monday.

No change Monday - said it will be fixed on Wednesday. 

Will update on wednesday, and probably again on Friday, Sunday, Tuesaday, Thurs.....

0 Ratings
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 18

Did you look on the service status page?

http://www.bt.com/help/servicestatus

A more comprehensive list from Zen Internet is here.

https://status.zen.co.uk/broadband/outages.aspx

See if your dialling code is on one of those faults.

0 Ratings
harveyzone
Aspiring Contributor
Message 10 of 18

Hmmm...

I checked on the first on a week or so ago, and it wasn't there then
I have just checked again and my dial code is still not listed on either of those.

Further, on the fault tracker it now tells me that "Your fault should now be fixed", and invites me to 'accept the fix' and close the logged fault.

I am also worried that the cabinet status on http://www.superfastworcestershire.com/cabinet-status (last updated 18th september - the day before my migtration) shows a stautus of "Surveyed" but not yet live. Is it possible that they have sold me something that is not yet ready, or is the page update slower than the actual work.

0 Ratings