cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
amcc67
Message 1 of 7

Do BT email accounts exist after you leave?

Hi,

So basically i am tied down to a rather gash BT service in my area when better and cheaper options are availble. I currently have a BtYahoo/BtOpenWorld/BtInternet Email - confusing is realy puting it in a nice way!

I want to leave but i don't know wether my email will be closed aswell if i leave as the contract is ending soon, if i do decide to leave surely the email should remain open as it's web based with BT Yahoo anyway?

This email is important and i cannot be hassle of changing email, especially with the huge ammounts of contacts and daily emails ..

0 Ratings
6 REPLIES 6
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 7

Re: Do BT email accounts exist after you leave?

once you leave BT broadband your email account is normally still active for about 90 days then terminated.  you can keep your email address but you need to select premium email and there is a monthly fee.

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
seab20
Expert
Message 3 of 7

Whilst that is supposed to happen, many remain active indefinitely, i still have one from around 2004 when i was first with BT i left in 2005 and it is still active now. I have a new one for my infinity but don’t use it. There was a thread about this on the digital spy forum and me and a few other people had all received emails at some point stating it would be terminated if we do not pay to keep it, none of us had paid and they had all remained active, some people had not even received such an email, I have not have one for around 4 years.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 7

there are other more recent posts on the forum from ex customers who have lost there email address.  maybe they just more aggressive now than they were 6/7 years ago. 

It's a gambe you can do nothing and hope it continues but accept the consequences if it is deleted after about 90 days

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Tazz070299
Contributor
Message 5 of 7

Surely it's about time that Ofcom insisted that email addresses are portable between ISPs and customers can then retain their email address regardless of provider. In the same way that fixed line & mobile phone number portability had to be imposed upon providers to improve customer choice.

Tazz
0 Ratings
Highlighted
seab20
Expert
Message 6 of 7

Not necessary I'm afraid, if you want to use an isp's email address be prepared to take the risk, I'm happy to keep using my sky one as it is in their policy to never terminate accounts even for ex-customers but i would not use my BT one for anything important. If you want to ensure your account is safe go with a provider that is not linked to your isp, yahoo, google, etc.

0 Ratings
Gad
Beginner
Message 7 of 7

See this link http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/c/346,401,412,413/a_id/13140 

What happens to my @btinternet email account when I stop having BT Broadband?

When you stop your BT Broadband service your email account is downgraded to a Pay-as-you-go or Basic email service. You'll be able to access your email account for up to 90 days from the date your BT Broadband service stops.

You won't be charged for the email account, but to continue to use it after 90 days you'll need to upgrade it to a Premium Mail account. Smiley Happy