Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Aspiring Expert
Message 41 of 52

Re: Do BT tell Lies ?

Also the broadband predictor is misleading:

If you go to

http://www.productsandservices.bt.com/products/broadband/infinity

and enter the predictor, put in your phone number, in my case I get the following:

Screen Shot 2013-07-04 at 21.16.14.png

If you hover your mouse over the small question marks the 4.5Mb refers to the estimate and range, the 19.6Mb does not, so this actually casts doubt over the previous clause I quoted about a range not actually applying to Infinity.

It is definitely debateable and I have not noticed this before.

Have noted this for myself just in case BT do not honour their agreement with me. It all adds to the fire.

All the best

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Expert
Message 42 of 52

I suppose there could be an intermittent fault on the line resulting in the 58 vs 40?

The difficulty is identifying there is a fault.

In my case BT Openreach were called out and I basically stood over them (literally with an Umbrella as it was raining at the time) while they carried out the tests at different duct covers. I noted the results and have had to persue BT quite vigorously to get anywhere. I haven't succeded yet but am hopeful.

All the best

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Guru
Message 43 of 52

Yeah, that predictor just returns the same estimate I get from the DSL checker. Which happens to be less than what I get.
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
If you found this post helpful, please click on the star on the left
If not, I'll try again 🙂
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Expert
Message 44 of 52

An estimate is just that, it should be an approximation of the final result given the expertise of the person giving the estimate. If the estimate is based on long experience and data in similar circumstances it should be near the actual. If there is no data of similar circumstances and the person giving the estimate has no experience the estimate could be wildly out.

HOWEVER BT are supposed to be "experts" they have been doing it long enough so their estimates should be near reality.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Guru
Message 45 of 52

They've only just started VDSL2 actually. It's still in the early stages being engineer-install only.
If not, I'll try again 🙂
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 46 of 52

quote/The surprise, surprise was in answer to my asking what is the estimate for the line. It's estimated at 40 and he gets 40. So no surprise/quote
It was sarcasm ray_dorset
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Guru
Message 47 of 52

I realise that, but the fact remains you're on the estimate.
If not, I'll try again 🙂
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Expert
Message 48 of 52

Yes they do. I put my number in and I'm supposed to get 32.6 down/5.7 up. Last month my average was 37.63 down with a max of 47.4 and up was 5.59 average with a max of 6.09 (results from a SamKnows whitebox).
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 49 of 52

keendartfan try signing up to Ifinity 2 and see what you get over
56 i don`t think
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Expert
Message 50 of 52

I'm on Infinity 2 but I'm probably the furthest from the exchange that I can get (approx 1200m). At my old house the estimate is 69.4 down 20 up as it's about 300m from the exchange.

What alternatives do you have to Infinity?
0 Ratings