cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 1 of 14

Do I Really Have Infinity?

Hi, I came back to BT this week, after being away for a couple of years. I moved back as I knew that fibre was coming to my exchange (Tiptree) and I wanted Infinity. BT told me that it's available now, hence the installation this week. I know that I have fibre to my house as I now have a shiny new fibre modem attached to my study wall. However, speed checks show that I'm a little faster than I was on adsl2+, but not much. I'm getting roughly 11Meg down and 300k up, about one third of what I was expecting. Sam Knows says that my exchange FTTC date is 30 Sept 2012, which is the date that I previously heard that fibre was coming to Tiptree. So, does this mean that I have fibre in place from my house to the cabinet, but I'm not fully wired in yet? Thanks.
0 Ratings
13 REPLIES 13
Highlighted
Distinguished Guru
Message 2 of 14

Re: Do I Really Have Infinity?

BT Infinity is normally fibre to the cabinet and copper wire to the home.  The Openreach engineer will replace the normal master socket with a new one with an extra socket at the top.

Openreach supply their own modem which connects to that socket, and the Home Hub connects to the modem.  If you've got all that, you are on Infinity.  If you've just gor a Home Hub plugged directly into the phone line, then it isn't Infinity.

The minimum acceptable speed for infinity is 15Mbps.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Recognised Expert
Message 3 of 14

If you had FTTP you would have more than just an Openreach Modem, are you sure its not FTTC?

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 14

you sound like you are on adsl2+ not infinity infinity is an engineer installed product
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 5 of 14

Thanks for the replies so far. My install was handled by an engineer, and I do officially have infinity. I guess I need to speak to BT re the slow speeds. Thanks.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 14

modem.jpgdo you have a white openreach modem and the home hub 3 the modem looks like the picture 

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 7 of 14

Hi,

Yes, I have the modem and the home hub 3. I've had a engineer install of Infinity, but my original concern was with the slow speeds and the date of 30th Sept for FTTC (from Sam Knows) , that my exchange isn't really fully active yet. Presumably, it's the copper from the cab to my house that's slowing me down?

thanks.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Expert
Message 8 of 14

what is your profile?

you can get this from either http://speedtester.bt.com/ and choose the fttc & adsl diagnostics button or the be bras checker http://windows.mouselike.org/be/?DoAction=BrasChecker which just gives the profile

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 9 of 14

Thanks for the links:

Download speedachieved during the test was - 13.4 Mbps
 For your connection, the acceptable range of speedsis 12 Mbps-15.06 Mbps .
 Additional Information:
 IP Profile for your line is - 15.06 Mbps

Upload speed achieved during the test was - 0.48Mbps
 Additional Information:
 Upstream Rate IP profile on your line is - 20 Mbps

I was told when I ordered that I'd get 30Meg down and (I think) around 2Meg up?

Thanks.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 14

from your ip profile i would think you are a good distance away from your local cabinet
0 Ratings