cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
alimac83
Message 1 of 10

Do I have the equipment to use broadband?

To cut a long story short, BT basically royally screwed up my order. After having been told I could get infinity, I later discovered that I couldn't actually get the service and was instead eligable for regular broadband. I was sent the Infinity modem/router and was told I could still use this to access regular broadband.

This morning our phone line was supposed to go active and I tried to setup the modem. I opened the box to find 2 (what look to be ethernet) cables and the actual modem/hub. How am I supposed to connect it all up? After a little rummaging around on the internet, it looks as though I may need a BT home hub.. is this true? 

Is it possible for me to connect up the infinity modem/router/whatever it is to my phone line and start using it? I didn't get any cabling that connects the router/modem to the phone socket and I was given no splitters so I'm assuming I'll have to go buy these myself? 

Can someone tell me what extra cabling I need to buy to get this on the road? I've spent the last 3 weeks and over 6 hours of phone calls to BT trying to get this sorted.. I'm tired and I just want it done with!

0 Ratings
9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10

Re: Do I have the equipment to use broadband?

Hello,

You've been sent the Infinity welcome pack (which consists of two ethernet cables). As you can't get Infinity, then you will need the Broadband welcome pack (which consists of a phone socket->HH3 RJ11 ended cable, ADSL filters etc). Both setups use the Homehub 3, but connect to different ports in it. If I were you I would contact customer services and get them sent to you a Broadband Welcome pack ASAP. I'm sure they will rectify their mistake immediately.

From a landline dial:
0800 111 4567

Alternatively, you can contact the Mods here, but they will probably take longer than calling customer services (up to 72 hours, longer over weekends).

http://bt.custhelp.com/app/contact_email/c/4951

In my experience, BT normally send out equipment pretty sharpish. I hope you get the right answer.

0 Ratings
PC
Recognised Expert
Message 3 of 10

Hi and welcome,

Sad to hear about your disappointment.... maybe the regular broadband (ADSL) will only be a stop gap solution until Infinity arrives.

Anyhow you should have a Home Hub 3 router. (Works on regular broadband adsl and Infinity via it's two different sockets)

In the picture below showing the back of a HH3 you connect a cable from the ADSL socket to your telephone socket via a micro filter.

I have a spare microfilter and it's cable. If you send me a pm with address I'll post them.

--------------------------------------------//--------------------------------------------
Please Click On any Text in Blue as that automatically links to information.

PC (NDEGR)

PC
Recognised Expert
Message 4 of 10

Took me so long looking for the pics.... that Tommy has come up with a good reply/solution in the meantime.

If you get problems the offer of those bits still stands.

Good luck Smiley Happy

--------------------------------------------//--------------------------------------------

PC (NDEGR)

0 Ratings
alimac83
Message 5 of 10

Thank you both for your responses.

In terms of the equipment we have, we've got the exact thing that PC posted a picture of. I was told when ordering infinity that if it turned out it wasn't available, we'd still be able to use the router with regular broadband.. except we didn't get any cabling to do so.

Could you guys provide me with the exact name of the cable needed to connect from a filter to the router? I have one splitter left over from my old sky router I think.. but can these things be bought from a store like maplins for example?

Thanks

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 10

Hello,

You can get the right stuff from Maplins and your old Sky router cable will _possibly_ work with the Homehub

ADSL Modem Cable:

http://www.maplin.co.uk/broadband-adsl-modem-cable-36282?ordercode=A25BA

ADSL Microfilter:

Something like

http://www.maplin.co.uk/leaded-adsl-splitter-microfilter-33169

Make sure all your bits will connect up. You need to make sure that it goes something like:

Master Socket<----RJ15----ADSL Microfilter<----RJ11-----ADSL Modem Cable---RJ11-->Homehub 3

I would still ring up BT at a time of your convenience and get you the right bits anyway (as spares). You really shouldn't be paying for this out of your own pocket.

Hope this helps,

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 10

Oh and PC,

Please could you get a blurrier photo of an ADSL connection next time? I can almost read that one Smiley Wink

0 Ratings
PC
Recognised Expert
Message 8 of 10

My cable and filter are spare/left over because I was had BT regular broadband for a few months until Infinity arrived.

And as Tommy mentioned they came with the ADSL welcome pack which BT should have sent you.

However if you want to get things today then.-

"Connect your ADSL Modem to ADSL Filter" various cable lengths http://www.maplin.co.uk/search?criteria=adsl+cable

And you mentioned you probably have your Sky adsl filter still but just in case you need one http://www.maplin.co.uk/rj11-adsl-microfilter-45155

The welcome pack also has a CD with BT setup software.... however most people don't use it and even un install it as apparently it can cause problems. So you don't need it to set up your HUB.

There is a pull out TAB at the top middle of the HH3 that has your wireless key on it, you'll need that to set up wireless on your laptops/PC.

EDIT I'm too slow again Tommy's beaSmiley Madten me to it....

PC (NDEGR)

0 Ratings
PC
Recognised Expert
Message 9 of 10

@tommybobbins wrote:

Oh and PC,

Please could you get a blurrier photo of an ADSL connection next time? I can almost read that one Smiley Wink

I was going to post this one but be blowed if I could see the socket let alone a microfilter... might be lower left slightly out of picture???

PC (NDEGR)

0 Ratings
Message 10 of 10

I love PC's pictures of skirting boards looking moody and nicely nested PC, router and occasional tables in soft focus.

Here is the official guide, This has pretty pictures of the cables you should have got, the filters and where they plug into the Homehub.

http://btsupport.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/32377/c/1818

It is definitely worth a peruse.

All the manuals can be found here:

http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/32813/c/1243

Hope this helps and let us know how you get on,

0 Ratings