Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
SeanD
Community Manager
Community Manager
Message 41 of 120

Re: Do I own my BT Youview box?

Hi Canman,

Thanks for the post and welcome to the forum.

StuartRogerson is correct, once you complete your initial contract term then you will own the box.  For your information I have found the section of the terms and conditions which covers this off, please see below,

Deferred Payment for the Set Top Box(s)

Cheers

Sean

0 Ratings
richardh1
Beginner
Message 42 of 120

Hi Sean

I am having the same problem.  Cancelled by contract a number of months after the 12 month contract expired and have since received a sms, email and yesterday a letter and plastic bag to return my equipment in.  Any chance you could take a look or can I safely ignore them?

Thanks

0 Ratings
stuartrogerson
Distinguished Guru
Message 43 of 120

If you are out of contract you can safely ignore all these communications. The box is your s

BTLife | 1967 Plus Radio | 1000 Classical Hits
Someone Solved Your Question?
Please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
Helpful Post?
If a post has been helpful, say thanks by clicking the ratings star.
0 Ratings
Midnight_Voice
Aspiring Contributor
Message 44 of 120

You don't even have to be out of contract to own the box.

As Axolotl describes in the very first posting on this thread, it is yours from the day you receive it, subject only to the Early Termination clauses, i.e. the cooling-off period.

Once that is past, even within your initial contract period, the box is yours.

You may well owe BT some money if you terminate early, and that is fair enough; you signed a contract to get a YouView box, and BT need to amortise the cost of that box.

But it's still your box.
0 Ratings
bazzer9
Contributor
Message 45 of 120

BT are still at it !
I received two emails yesterday entitled "You need to return your kit " , one for the Youview box and the other for the Hub5.
This is inspite of my having completed an 18 month contract and having just switched from BT to Plusnet.

0 Ratings
stuartrogerson
Distinguished Guru
Message 46 of 120

Just ignore it!

BTLife | 1967 Plus Radio | 1000 Classical Hits
Someone Solved Your Question?
Please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
Helpful Post?
If a post has been helpful, say thanks by clicking the ratings star.
0 Ratings
sirjamesp
Aspiring Expert
Message 47 of 120

There's a sticky post on the forum front page (dated Oct 23rd, I think) that confirms that you own the box.

Although why BT is still sending out (deliberately?) misleading emails (and telling their customer service teams that the box will stop working) is anyone's guess.
0 Ratings
ChrisC
Aspiring Expert
Message 48 of 120

Isn't part of the reason for the return requests to comply with WEEE regulations that mean whoever makes electrical equipment has a responsibility for it's disposal? (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Waste_Electrical_and_Electronic_Equipment_Directive)

I dare say they're also keen to get them back as re-conditioning an re-issuing a box is drastically less expensive than producing a new one.

I've changed products a few times with BT, ignored all the 'send the kit back' messages and never been charged so the messages are probably safe to ignore.

0 Ratings
sirjamesp
Aspiring Expert
Message 49 of 120

I'm sure they have to offer to dispose of the box for you, for the reason you say.

But they don't have to send misleading emails "You *need* to return your equipment") or allow their customer servicen reps to give out false info ("Your box will no longer work as a PVR").
0 Ratings
walkerx
Recognised Expert
Message 50 of 120

agree when i cancelled and moved to sky for tv, I got the emails and constant texting. Had to contact BT to get them to stop texting me regarding the return of the box.

Rather than BT waste time/money and annoying customers why don't they ask when the customer leaves if they wish to return the equipment or keep it.

if they decide to return then send out the bags and email/text confirmation otherwise don't bother

I would also advise customers to check the emails as BT wanted to charge me for cancelling TV even though I was not in contract

Also they cancel the service within 24 hours, not the 30 days after you have given notice to terminate and paid for.

0 Ratings