cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
isparky
Beginner
Message 1 of 5

Do I require an engineer visit?

Hi everyone, I just moved into a new flat and ordered the More Broadband and calls package, I have got a telephone line socket on the wall and have browsed around some FAQ sections i was looking on the phone line socket earlier, it does not have a BT logo on it, it has got a "T" logo and from what I am aware there it is not active. When I ordered the package I also booked an engineer visit for a phone line, I just want to make sure, do I still need an engineer to come out and visit? Does an engineer have to visit my property to activate the line or should I cancel the engineer visit? Thanks

Mark.

0 Ratings
4 REPLIES 4
Distinguished Guru
Message 2 of 5

Re: Do I require an engineer visit?

Could the "T" just be an old "telecom" logo?  BT have used several different logos over the years.

If your line is not active (doesn't have a dial tone), then it will almost certainly need reconnecting at the exchange.  It probably won't need any work in the flat, but it's impossible to say without seeing the line.  You could end up cancelling the appointment, only to find that the line is broken/missing between the roadside cabinet and the master socket.

In any case, the fee for reconnecting a line is fixed (or zero if you are buying some bundled packages), so it costs you no extra to have the appointment.

isparky
Beginner
Message 3 of 5

Ah I never thought about it being the old telecom logo, that must be what it is! Yeah I bought a bundled package so I have be told there is no connection fee, my handset was delivered the other day and my broadband hub is due to be delivered and activated on the 26th of this month. I tried connecting the phone up to see if there was a dial tone present . It came up on the phone, "No Line" for a few minutes, then it changed to "Handset 1" but there was no dial tone when trying to use it so I decided to pack it away assuming its inactive, probably best just to leave the engineer visit as it is then instead of cancelling it and then having to rebook it if i need it

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 4 of 5

You might just find that the engineer goes to the exchange first, connects it there, and then rings you to say he doesn't need to visit you.

0 Ratings
isparky
Beginner
Message 5 of 5

okay no worries, thanks for your help Smiley Happy

0 Ratings