cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
srpsrp
Expert
Message 1 of 13

Does 5.1 surround work at all ?

Well since BT are going on about Atmos surround I thought I'd bring this up again.

I have set both HDMI and SPDIF to surround and tried both on my Amplifier,  but have yet to ever see my UHD box output any surround sound. Netflix programmes listed at 5.1 don't work, the UHD sport channel tonight is showing as PCM 2.0 

Personally i don't really mind, since I am more used to Dolby Pro logic however I'm wandering if perhaps there is somthing wrong with my box ?

0 Ratings
12 REPLIES 12
scointer
Recognised Expert
Message 2 of 13

Re: Does 5.1 surround work at all ?

Something is definetly wrong. I am watching the football tonight and on my Denon amp I am getting Dolby Atmos on the 4K channel and Dolby digital + on the hd channel.

there is quite a lot of proper 5.1 on the extra hd channels and the sport channels but quite restricted on the standard free to air channels.

Again Netflix have a lot of 5.1 programmes (these don't work properly on the standard boxes but should work fine on the uhd box). Check you have set the programme to be on 5.1 and you should see Dolby Digital on your amp.

just as a test if your amp isnt hdcp2.2 compatible it might be worth just setting you uhd box to output 1080p and see if you get proper 5.1 via the hdmi.

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 13

In settings make sure you set HDMI audio to
Dolby surround as the factory setting is stereo
0 Ratings
junglemusic
Aspiring Contributor
Message 4 of 13

Yes to confirm I am getting 5.1 surround through the YouView+ UHD box.
0 Ratings
gomezz
Distinguished Expert
Message 5 of 13

I lost surround sound over optical the other day after I had been fiddling with my set up unplugging and plugging in the optical leads from various devices. The Youview box had decided to reset the optical output to Stereo so I had to change it back again. Surround sound working as evidenced by tonight's MotD.
0 Ratings
billybob99
Aspiring Expert
Message 6 of 13

works fine for me via hdmi arc as my amp dosent support 4k passthrough 

0 Ratings
srpsrp
Expert
Message 7 of 13

I've set the output to 1080i since this seems to be the best picture quality on my Plasma TV. I did try setting this back to default 1080p last night and there was still no surround sound on HDMI or Optical Spdif.

Not sure what to try next, I guess if i call BT support they will tell me to turn it of/on do a reset / delete all my recordings etc etc. I really can't imagine how this could be a hardware problem, perhaps the upcoming Software re-vamp will sort it ?

My Amp. works fine with Amazon Prime, chromecast,  Blu ray and Freesat all in surround. Like I said I went into the settings on the UHD box and set both HDMI and SPDIF to surround but it seems to ignore it.

0 Ratings
Martin--W
Retired BT Expert
Message 8 of 13

Hello @srpsrp

If you'd like to Private Message me your contact details I'd be happy to see if I can help you.

Martin.

0 Ratings
srpsrp
Expert
Message 9 of 13

Hi Martin, i'm xxxxxxx on gmail or just post here if you can help, much appreciated.

I may well call support about this since from other peoples comments there does seem to be somthing wrong.

I have a Yamaha Rxv671 from 2012, so probably it wont support atmos but I'm not sure if it supports DD+ isn't that the same as what some BluRay's use ?

0 Ratings
billybob99
Aspiring Expert
Message 10 of 13

don't think you can get dd+ on arc or optical only standard 5.1
0 Ratings