Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Richie58
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 12

Does Chromecast work on Windows 8.1 laptops

Go to solution

Whilst I understand Chomecast works for the BT Sport App on tablet or smartphone I cannot find any definate confirmation anywhere about whether it works for the BT Sport online player using a Windows 8.1 laptop. Any help or further information anyone could give me on this would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

0 Ratings
11 REPLIES 11
barnpiece
Expert
Message 2 of 12

Re: Does Chromecast work on Windows 8.1 laptops

Go to solution

Yes, Chromecast does work on Windows 8.1 with BBC Iplayer.

You need to use the Chrome browser with the Chromecast extension. Turn on the Chromecast from the extension button, then play a Iplayer programme fullscreen. You will get a Chromecast button on the Iplayer to allow you to send it to your TV.

It is also possible using the Chromecast extension in the Chrome browser to cast the whole of your PC screen to the TV.

Richard

0 Ratings
Richie58
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 12

Go to solution

Hi Richard Thanks for your response. So a Windows 8.1 laptop does connect to a TV using Chromecast. I note your comments about BBC iPlayer but are you saying that if I launch the BT Sport online player from the Chrome Browser it actually works. Please say it does!!! I look forward to your further clarification on this. Thanks

0 Ratings
barnpiece
Expert
Message 4 of 12

Go to solution

Sorry I misread what you wanted.

I have just tried but have not been able to cast live BT Sport onto the TV from Windows 8.1.

Although I cast the BT Sport website OK, as soon as I tried to view the live channel it switched off Chromecast -- I don't know why.

I tend to start it on my tablet and cast from there -- its much easier!

Has anyone else managed to do it from Windows 8.1?

Richard

0 Ratings
barnpiece
Expert
Message 5 of 12

Go to solution

Just done a Google search and found this:

https://community.bt.com/t5/Watching-BT-Sport-via-the-App-or/Browser-issues-with-Silverlight/m-p/119...

I think probably that mine doesn't work because of Silverlight.

Richard

0 Ratings
Richie58
Aspiring Contributor
Message 6 of 12

Go to solution

Hi Richard Just as I had feared. But thanks for letting me know. I am not surprised that it doesn't work because I finally managed to get confirmation from BT Technical Support today that Intel® Wireless Display (Intel® WiDi) is not supported. Strange that they allow wireless projection from smartphones and tablets using the BT Sport App but would appear not to allow it from laptops using the BT online player. I, like you, would be interested to hear from anyone who has got Chromecast to work for the BT Sport online player on Windows 8.1. Thanks again

0 Ratings
Nikki1967
Beginner
Message 7 of 12

Go to solution

I hope they enable you to watch BT sport on windows 8.1 soon as I have just bought a Chromecast for this reason but it doesnt work.

what a waste of money.

hopefully someone will find a way to do it soon and share with us.

zulu17
Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 8 of 12

Go to solution

Options for using Chromecast to cast BT Sport onto a TV exist for using the BT Sport App on a tablet or smartphone. (so laptop using BT Sport website is not a supported Chromecast delivery method.)

https://sport.bt.com/watchnow/programmes/bt-sport-announces-chromecast-partnership-S11363890277685

http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/49116/~/how-to-stream-through-chromecast-on-the-bt-sp...

Casting from  the laptop  website browser to a Chromecast generally doesn't work fpr websites that involve the  use of  Microsoft Siverlight which is what is used for BTSport.

Richie58
Aspiring Contributor
Message 9 of 12

Go to solution

Hi Nikki1967

Thanks for your comments. This just further confirms that you cannot use any form of Wireless Display technology, Intel® Wireless Display (Intel® WiDi) as well as Chromecast, to stream BT Sport using the online player from a Windows computer. So it's back to the good old fashioned HDMI lead!!

Come on BT please try and get this sorted. Please give BT Sport online player customers the same screen mirroring facility as those who use the BT Sport App on their Android devices who can quite happily use Chromecast and Miracast.

In time for the start of the new football season woud be good. I'm not holding my breath though!!

0 Ratings
Cumbrian
Aspiring Contributor
Message 10 of 12

Go to solution

I use Intel WiDi to stream from my Windows 8.1 laptop to tv.it will show everything exept BT Sport,so to watch BT Sport i have to get the good old HDMI Cable connected to my tv.so come on BT sort this out.why do you have to be the odd one out.Cumbrian

0 Ratings