cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Chani
Beginner
Message 1 of 10

Does YouView use the horrible fastforward skip BTVision introduced (because of Sky Sports deal)?

Go to solution

I was wondering if the YouView box has a skip fwd feature that does not 'scroll through' the adverts showing you them as it goes. BTVision used to have a nice feature that skipped forwards 30 seconds (or so) without showing you a 'preview' of what you were skipping. They then did a deal with Sky to allow Sky Sports on the system which forced a changed they way this worked so that we now have to watch through the adverts and whatever it is that we are trying to skip to get where we want to be in the recording. The 'updated' way is horrible and I almost cancelled my subscribtion because of it. 

I was wondering if YouView has this horrible 'feature' or if you can skip forward a determined amount of time without it showing you a 'preview' of what you are skipping through. Our old Humax PVR-9200 had an amazing skip forwards/backwards facility.

Any help on this would be greatly appreciated.

0 Ratings
9 REPLIES 9
walkerx
Recognised Expert
Message 2 of 10

Re: Does YouView use the horrible fastforward skip BTVision introduced (because of Sky Sports deal)?

Go to solution

@Chani wrote:

I was wondering if the YouView box has a skip fwd feature that does not 'scroll through' the adverts showing you them as it goes. BTVision used to have a nice feature that skipped forwards 30 seconds (or so) without showing you a 'preview' of what you were skipping. They then did a deal with Sky to allow Sky Sports on the system which forced a changed they way this worked so that we now have to watch through the adverts and whatever it is that we are trying to skip to get where we want to be in the recording. The 'updated' way is horrible and I almost cancelled my subscribtion because of it. 

I was wondering if YouView has this horrible 'feature' or if you can skip forward a determined amount of time without it showing you a 'preview' of what you are skipping through. Our old Humax PVR-9200 had an amazing skip forwards/backwards facility.

Any help on this would be greatly appreciated.

Youview added a skip function in the October Update - see this link for list of improvment and feature requests

drhowells
Recognised Expert
Message 3 of 10

Re: Does YouView use the horrible fastforward skip BTVision introduced (because of Sky Sports deal)?

Go to solution
We don't know yet. The next update for Youview introduces this skip functionality, but BT users haven't had it yet.
0 Ratings
Chani
Beginner
Message 4 of 10

Go to solution
Ahh thanks very much for the link. Interesting reading. I did not even realise there was 'no' skip feature!
I take it that the updates are all controlled by YouView and not BT? It was BT who destroyed the skip feature for Vision ias part of their deal to secure Sky Sports.
0 Ratings
Community Manager
Community Manager
Message 5 of 10

Go to solution
Hi guys,

I can confirm that the YouView skip feature is being introduced in the update soon and does not ‘scroll though’ the picture like your BT Vision+ box, but jumps 60 seconds forwards or 15 seconds backwards.

Thanks,

Stephanie
Chani
Beginner
Message 6 of 10

Go to solution

Thank you StephanieG for clarifying that for me - that is music to my ears.

Let us hope it stays like this and does not go the way of the Vision box. 

Man Happy

0 Ratings
anotherjohnh
Contributor
Message 7 of 10

Go to solution

AFAIK those who bought the Humax Youview box have got the software update which (among with other things) gives a straight skip forward of 1 minute, and back skip of 15 seconds. Not adjustable.

I can't speak for everyone, but that's the case with mine.

Having said that, I was surprised skip arrived at all, as most of the companies who comprise Youview have a vested interest in people watching their commercials, so it may well be changed when the grown-ups figure out what's happening.

0 Ratings
JXHogan74
Contributor
Message 8 of 10

Go to solution

So can you skip thru adverts in catch-up then, once the skip function has actually been enabled that is? You certainly can't wind on thru them with my BTYV box.....you get a big 'No Entry' sign for your trouble if you try....

0 Ratings
drhowells
Recognised Expert
Message 9 of 10

Go to solution

@JXHogan74 wrote:

So can you skip thru adverts in catch-up then, once the skip function has actually been enabled that is? You certainly can't wind on thru them with my BTYV box.....you get a big 'No Entry' sign for your trouble if you try....

No, only on your own recordings.

Tags (1)
0 Ratings
JXHogan74
Contributor
Message 10 of 10

Go to solution

@drhowells wrote:

@JXHogan74 wrote:

No, only on your own recordings.

Yeah, I use that for mine...and tbh always did on my BTV box you just need the reflexes of an Olympic standard cat....and to know that it'll drop back about 30secs to allow for delayed reactions...

0 Ratings