cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
belgarboy
Beginner
Message 1 of 11

Does anybody know the costs of VOIP calling from India?

I am shortly going on holiday to India. I want to avoid the huge GPRS charges for phoming home. So I intend to disable GPRS and use the VOIP on my HTC620 to call my BT hub phone, which is on an 05 number. Does anybody know how much this will cost? Is there a more cost effective method that I could use? I will also set my email access to manual to avoid automatic connection more email downloads.

Many thanks

Peter

0 Ratings
10 REPLIES 10
neilmorgan
Expert
Message 2 of 11

Re: Does anybody know the costs of VOIP calling from India?

Ringing a normal UK geographic number is usually cheaper, especially if you are on free evening calls etc. because 05 numbers still get charged
Contributor
Message 3 of 11

Using BB Talk on the 620 will cost the same as using the hub phone in the UK. If you make a a call to a 01,02 or 03 (and I think a 05) number during off peak hours (18:00 - 06:00 GMT) the call will be free for up to one hour!

Things to watch out for, make sure that Broadband talk is selected before starting the call so you don't use the mobile side of the phone (horrendous charges)

DO NOT allow the phone to turn off once you leave the UK as you will lose the Broadband talk function and will not be able to reinstate it until you return. (Use Airplane mode on the airplane!)

Remember the time difference, the free call times are GMT/BST. Other times you will be charged normal landline rates.

It may be cheaper to use the 620 than to use local payphones or hotel phones when calling Indian numbers. (It's cheaper to call the states during the day using Broadband talk than my next door neighbour).

HTH.

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 11

05 is a non-geographic number, anyone calling you on it wont benefit from the pm/weekend free talk etc.

BBT can be changed to a geographic number by e-mailing BB help or BBT help-line 0800 1003004.

Just check the altered profile has been logged with c/s so your SETUP runs ok after the number change.

(I'm not 100% sure the cost is just the same using VOIP when abroad as if it were in the UK, but it is certainly cheaper than a conventional method).

AQ.
"Welcome to Royston Vasey - You'll never leave."

0 Ratings
neilmorgan
Expert
Message 5 of 11

Because VOIP just uses an IP address it isn't bothered what IP address so the charges from a VOIP connection are the same anywhere in the world. If you use SKYPE it's free VOIP to VOIP as it never sees the normal telephone network. BT used to have that option with softalk but they removed it a while ago along with the free 50 texts, stating they were "improving" the software. Personally I can't see any improvements but there you go.
Message 6 of 11

The part of it Im not sure on is the cost of using VOIP (whilst abroad) to call a UK landline - and calling a VOIP number (abroad) from a UK landline. 

Local (UK) rates has a certain logic to it?

AQ.

0 Ratings
Luggworm
Contributor
Message 7 of 11

Well I can tell you having used it a number of times and having more than a passing knowledge of VoIP, when you succesfully call using BB Talk from the 620 it is exactly the same as using the hub phone, your physical location is irrelevant. Similarly if you load the softphone on your laptop you can hook it up to the internet anywhere you like and make and receive calls to your BB Talk number*.

As an example it costs 1.25p per min to call the USA from a BB Talk phone (hub, soft or 620 or PBX sip trunk if you want to get really technical!). Whilst in the States it cost something horrible like 80c per minute to use the hotel phone so it was much cheaper to order pizza using the 620!

Just to bring it back to the OP's question to call an Indian landline number from BB Talk costs 5.31p per min, or 8.99p per min for an Indian mobile number - no matter where you are physically located.

*Subject to the ISP you are connecting through not blocking the connection to BT SIP servers, or blocking RTP traffic.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
homeinmk
Aspiring Contributor
Message 8 of 11

I used VOIP from Greece last year and it cost nothing just like SKYPE. You should also opt into FON as you can use this for free as well. Just make sure that once you have logged onto someones wifi/fon that you have the phone switched off in COMS manager as this will stop the phone from using the telephone network and you will be operating solely over the wifi and VOIP.

Check out the BTFON site to see if there are locations near your destination. Restaurants/bars often allow VOIP as well.

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 11

Apologies - my memory was of someone who had changed an 05 number to a geographic number,and when they'd tried to use VOIP ergo it didnt work, and they'd massed up big mobile charges.

Found it on the old forum.

Call it a draw? Smiley Wink

AQ.

0 Ratings
glynwhite
Contributor
Message 10 of 11

Would it not be easier to buy one of those Cards that they sell in corner shops over here?  I wouldn't trust VOIP from over there, we have major data outages here through the satelite when the Sun is wrongly positioned, so what chance using BT Voice, when it seldom works here from your back garden.

0 Ratings