cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Remospadaccini
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 12

Does anyone know what this cabinet is?

Recently I had been walking around this housing estate near where I live and I noticed these grey cabinets placed every group of houses or so. Infront of each of these cabinets, there was a BT cover where the telephone lines go and I was wondering if there is any correlation between the two. Its grey with two doors and its a bit smaller than a normal PCP cabinet. There is FTTP in the area but I don't think that it has anything to do with it because they existed before FTTP.

I'm just curious to find out. It'll probably not be related to telecom anyways but I thought that there was a possibility that it was so I wanted to ask here. Also sorry if I'm on the wrong board. I was unsure of which one to use.

This is the cabinet with a BT manhole cover in front of it

This is what it looks like

0 Ratings
11 REPLIES 11
robmar0se
Contributor
Message 2 of 12

Re: Does anyone know what this cabinet is?

Fttc/ftth/fttp cabinets tend to have breather slots - here are pictures of the two cabinets BT Openreach are using for fibre
http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/fttc-cabinets.htm

Most probably old Adsl cabinets
0 Ratings
iniltous
Guru
Message 3 of 12

What part of the country are these cabinets in , as already stated a few areas had street based ADSL kit , and there may even still be TPON ( telephony over passive optical network) cabinets around , probably not in service anymore, they are/were very rare.

The colour of the cabinets would suggest nothing to do with 'BT' but the associated footway box covers with 'BT' on them would 

0 Ratings
Remospadaccini
Aspiring Contributor
Message 4 of 12

In the south east of England. The whole housing estate is fttp enabled but these cabinets existed since before 2009 ish which leaves me confused.
0 Ratings
iniltous
Guru
Message 5 of 12

I have a vague recollection that Milton Keynes (or somewhere like that) had a 'BT' type TV service in the dim and distant past , it was never a nationally available  service, (possibly some sort of trial area) and  never rolled out due the regulatory interference (BT were not allowed to enter the TV business for decades after privatisation ) or commercial reasons...perhaps these cabs have something to do with that , or not.

0 Ratings
Starwire2000
Recognised Expert
Message 6 of 12

Pretty sure it’ll belong to Virgin Media as they paint all their Cabinets Grey.
0 Ratings
Remospadaccini
Aspiring Contributor
Message 7 of 12

I had also thought that but a quick postcode check of parts of the area shows no record of virgin medias DOCSIS cable system being present

0 Ratings
Andy_N
Distinguished Guru
Message 8 of 12

@Remospadacciniwrote:

I had also thought that but a quick postcode check of parts of the area shows no record of virgin medias DOCSIS cable system being present

Prior to Virgin Media takeover, there was Telewest, NTL, Blueyonder etc - I think Telewest had grey boxes. But VM postcode check would negate that of course.

0 Ratings
Starwire2000
Recognised Expert
Message 9 of 12

Just because there is no VM doesn’t mean it doesn’t belong to them.

A Village not to far from my house has Diamond Cable (now VM) Cabinets all over the place but they were never finished as Diamond Cable ran out of money before they could complete the Network build.

The ‘BT’ joint box cover in front of it doesn’t mean it’ll belong to them. There’s a VM coax cable cabinet round the corner from my house with a BT Joint Box cover in front of it, it’s just coincidence that they put it there.

Then it could belong to any number of the utilities companies, no way of knowning but I’m sure it’s not BT’s, not even one of their TPON Cabinets as suggested. BT only have about 7 or 8 TPON Cabinets in the entire country and they are even bigger than the TPON Cabs Virgin use.
0 Ratings
Devon_Dave
Distinguished Guru
Message 10 of 12

Do you live in Milton Keynes?
(If I have helped you in any way please click the thumbs up. Thank You)
If I have solved your Issue please click the "Mark as accepted solution" button.
0 Ratings