cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Sachdev
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 8

Does anyone playing World of Warcraft on BT's Broadband? Please post/share experiences!

Hi everyone

This is just a quick research post to check if anyone plays World of Warcraft with BT Broadband. I have relocated to a place

Although I am confident that there is no problems, I wish to triple check before committing to a BT Contract. This is especially important to me because I run a guild with several real life friends from school and work and do a lot of things together, I do not wish my enjoyment to be hampered by the ISP.

Having said that, assume ideal/perfect conditions:

The Internet will be used by me only. The router will be the one BT provides, and will sit within cable connected to the PC or if wireless, the same room. I understand when it comes to wireless there's always some weird niggles here and there, but assume perfect.

Recently I hear Virgin Internet classified World of Warcraft's traffic as P2P, and therefore severely impacted a lot of players with Virgin. I wonder if something similar happened at BT as well, just incase.

EDIT: I forgot to mention, I dumped my postcode on BT's speedchecker, it estimates I should get 17mb speed.

0 Ratings
7 REPLIES 7
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 8

Re: Does anyone playing World of Warcraft on BT's Broadband? Please post/share experiences!

there are numerous posts on the forum about world of warcraft just use the search facility - to many to link

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Sachdev
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 8

Re: Does anyone playing World of Warcraft on BT's Broadband? Please post/share experiences!

Hiya

Yeh I had a search already actually, although I cannot see many about it, I was just wanting some more "recent" info, I believe the 2 recent infos I can find with it is one guy's (no reply to topic) about the game causing him to lose connection completely until reboot (although I personally think this might be more PC related) and someone with problems via BT Infinity.

However I posted this as merely being curious at any recent news/items, because the other topics seem to suggest high pings, but those date back a few months and more, hence I felt the need to post and see if anyone has anything to report on.

Hope this helps, I forgotten to justify why I posted this on my initial message.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 8

sorry I'm not a gamer so can't help - maybe someone will reply to your post

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Sachdev
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 8

Thank you very much for your concern. This is fine, I hope someone who does have family or friends that play Warcraft on BT Broadband can respond. Just gotta wait and see for now. Smiley Happy

Lets give it a couple of days. Will check back here every now 6 hours or so.

0 Ratings
smelly
Aspiring Contributor
Message 6 of 8

Hello,

I play WoW, I've got BT infinity and I've had very few problems. The recently patch updates of several gb was fine with no p2p slowdown.
Brokk
Aspiring Expert
Message 7 of 8

Not WoW, but I play LOTRO with no problems.

It's very hard to be sure how BT compares with other ISP's for game traffic. I know I got away from some problems by moving from Tiscali. Searching the forums here will inevitably find posts from people who have difficulties, and it's impossible to know how many others are not posting because they're doing OK.

Maybe you could get a better overall picture on a WoW forum. With LOTRO there are often forum threads comparing people's experiences with different ISP's and sometimes patterns are spotted.

Sachdev
Aspiring Contributor
Message 8 of 8

Thanks for the responses! On the subject of WoW's forums it's somewhat dangerous territory, however I failed to notice how massive it was, and done some quick searches and found a few threads. I will research further!

0 Ratings