cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 13

Does online advertising work?

Due to me frequenting this forum a vast majority of sites advertise BT when I visit them, as I already have BT this is poorly targeted advertising.

I'm looking at moving house and now the website I have been looking at houses on is popping up on all the sites I visit, again I was already using that site so again poorly targted advertising. 

Surely if I was visting Bob the Butchers website then Frank's Meat should pop up... hang on, that doesn't sound right! Smiley Embarassed

0 Ratings
12 REPLIES 12
Distinguished Guru
Message 2 of 13

Re: Does online advertising work?

Thats the damm browsers. Google uses Adchoice , don't know about others. You can opt out which then just puts general advertising in its place.

http://support.google.com/adsense/bin/static.py?hl=en&ts=1631343&page=ts.cs&rd=3&contact=abg_afc

I have opted out of most, but can be a damm nuisance.

I think it should be OPT IN for evrything not OPT OUT.

But you are right , they are targetting the wrong person , you appear to already be a user.

toekneem

(EASBF)

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 13

I'm using Safari.

Opting-out doesn't seem to much of a benefit, though, just a different ad to ignore
0 Ratings
masona2
Recognised Expert
Message 4 of 13

HI guy,

Clean your cookies. That should work. And do you have CCleaner?

http://download.cnet.com/CCleaner/3000-2086_4-12199554.html

Read the Editors review of it. Highly recommended.

And it works a treat for all aspects of computer performance too!

Rank - Mostly Harmless.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 5 of 13

@Guyincognito76 wrote:

Opting-out doesn't seem to much of a benefit, though, just a different ad to ignore

Ah!!!!, but at least you might be interested in that oneSmiley Very Happy

toekneem

(EASBF)

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 6 of 13

@masona2 wrote:

HI guy,

Clean your cookies. That should work.   

Trouble is I think opting out puts a cookie on your PC, then if you clear the cookies the personalised ads are back.

toekneem

(EASBF)

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 13

Clearing my cookies just makes visiting Amazon a bit of a pain.

I would prefer targeted ads, if I have to see ads, but whoever is writing the scripts isn't doing a very good job -but I guess the advertisers haven't cottoned on.
0 Ratings
masona2
Recognised Expert
Message 8 of 13

Well,

To answer your original question, online advertising now generates more revenue than TV advertising. Surprising, but true.

And I hate those BT Yahoo adverts. Particularly the flickering/flashing ones. They play havoc with my eyesight.

Rank - Mostly Harmless.
0 Ratings
Guru
Message 9 of 13

I just see them as an evil which allows most services to be free and ignore them completely. They don't even register any more.  If you asked me what I saw being advertised on the previous web page I probably couldn't tell you.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 10 of 13

@guilbo wrote:

I just see them as an evil which allows most services to be free and ignore them completely. They don't even register any more.  If you asked me what I saw being advertised on the previous web page I probably couldn't tell you.

Totally agree with you, but with me thats age relatedSmiley Very Happy

toekneem

(EASBF)

0 Ratings