cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
john46
Distinguished Sage
Message 11 of 26

Re: Does "on demand" tv ever work? Nothing but hassle! Call engineer?

same here with a LG smart tv no problems
0 Ratings
bratman91
Aspiring Expert
Message 12 of 26

I get the same sort of buffering problem with a NowTV box as I do with the smart TV - this suggests that the problem is caused by something common to both.

I get the same problem with powerline adapters as with wifi - this suggests that the problem lies with instability of the data being provided by the router.

That you and at least one other has no problem with on-demand services suggests that the problem is not with the on-demand services themselves.

What remains?
0 Ratings
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 13 of 26

@bratman91 wrote:
I get the same sort of buffering problem with a NowTV box as I do with the smart TV - this suggests that the problem is caused by something common to both.

I get the same problem with powerline adapters as with wifi - this suggests that the problem lies with instability of the data being provided by the router.

That you and at least one other has no problem with on-demand services suggests that the problem is not with the on-demand services themselves.

What remains?

are you able to connect an ethernet cable form the hub direct to TV and see if that works ok?

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
bratman91
Aspiring Expert
Message 14 of 26

My HH router is in a bedroom upstairs and my TV is in the lounge - without drilling holes in walls or lifting up floorboards, it would not be practical to use an ethernet cable.
0 Ratings
miqs
Contributor
Message 15 of 26

In response to using a wired connection I think we are missing the point. I never have a problem streaming Netflix so I can only assume that the router is operating ok. I can watch a 2 hour film and no bufferering whatsoever. However when I watch catchup tv usually within 15-20 mins it will fail. How can one (Netflix) streaming system work and one (iPlayer, 4OD etc) not? 

0 Ratings
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 16 of 26

sorry don't think anyone is missing the point just trying to eliminate the hub and the wireless connection as causing the problem.  why one wireless connection to netfilx works and the others don't seems odd but this is a process of elimination.

just like why does it work ok for me but not for you - I don't know

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
superlock
Aspiring Contributor
Message 17 of 26

I used to watch BBC iPlayer (using the term watch loosely) using my PS3 back when I had bog standard broadband from another supplier. In my old house this was, and I was miles from the exchange so I could only get a maximum thruput of 2mbits downstream. I also had a Netflix account back then.

I have come to the conclusion after many troubleshooting sessions, **bleep** around with my (now old defunct) router and the connection that the quality of the connection you get to the iPlayer servers highly depend son what app you're using and on what device. I wasn't the only one to suffer from constant buffering issues with the PS3 BBC iPlayer app, especially after they rolled out a large update for it some years back that brought it in line with the new redesign.

Netflix, on the other hand, worked flawlessly. I obviously could never watch anything in high definition due to the connection being so slow but 2mbits I found was just about good enough to stream standard definition tv. I might also add that I connected to my router wirelessly as well, and hard wiring it was not an option.

Now, I have Infinity, and I watch iPlayer directly from my Smart TV which is a Samsung (released last year). It works, for the most part, fairly well. I haven't tried streaming anything from my PS3 since I moved house but I suspect the BBC iPlayer app on it is just as **bleep** as it was back then.

The point to this post is, if you've got a fairly decent connection speed then maybe your issue lies with the apps you're using to stream the services, or perhaps the TV itself has a substandard wireless card in it. It might not necessarily be your WiFI network itself or your Internet connection causing the issue, but rather poorly designed tv components and apps. Of course the only way you could find this out is if you were to use a different device, such as a computer or tablet or even a mobile phone, to stream from one of the catchup services and see if th eproblesm persist.

If they do then, yes, ignore my post.

0 Ratings
john46
Distinguished Sage
Message 18 of 26

@ superlock

I would tend to agree with you comments the performance of the same apps on different devices can certainly be a problem
0 Ratings
bratman91
Aspiring Expert
Message 19 of 26

I cannot discount the possibility that differences in Apps and/or devices could be the problem but I am sceptical. If there were "good" and "bad" apps, I would expect that, given a stable supply of data from the router, a "bad" app would always give poor results from the start and not after 20 or 30 minutes and then almost constantly. Likewise, a "good" app might be expected to give excellent results always, whereas it seems that most people experience buffering at least occasionally. The flaw in the argument that, because some people using a Samsung TV get no buffering, this points to some apps being "bad" is that the perfect performance might simply be that they have perfect routers and a perfect supply of data. It would be interesting to hear from any Samsung users who experience buffering.
0 Ratings
john46
Distinguished Sage
Message 20 of 26

0 Ratings