cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
miqs
Contributor
Message 21 of 26

Re: Does "on demand" tv ever work? Nothing but hassle! Call engineer?

Thanks for the link. Read all that and for the wrong reasons feel a little relieved that it's not just related to Panasonic, and that I am not alone in this. On the contrary. After searching it seems there is a vast swathe of suffering like minded people! I have decided to see if it works any better using either my iMac (wired) or iPad (wifi) to watch some catchup tv and see if it stalls again. Will post back.

0 Ratings
bratman91
Aspiring Expert
Message 22 of 26

An interesting link - thank you for posting it. So, Samsung TVs have similar problems to those of Panasonics, and NowTV boxes. It stretches things a bit too far to think that every device and every app has got it wrong, which rather points the finger of suspicion at the data flow to those devices as this is the only common influence. My suspicion is not diminished by BT's advice to use an ethernet cable for its Vision box - hardly a ringing endorsement for HomeHub wifi.
0 Ratings
john46
Distinguished Sage
Message 23 of 26

for decent reliable streaming a wired connection is always the best option regardless of make or model of router
0 Ratings
bratman91
Aspiring Expert
Message 24 of 26

I suppose that this depends on how you define "decent" and "reliable". My Homehub is located in a good position within a few feet of my TV and with only a single internal wall between. I live in a detached house with little interferrence from outside electrical equipment or neighbours' routers, and the fibre cabinet is at the end of the garden. The signal strength shown by the TV is "excellent". If I cannot get a decent, reliable streamed service, and am typical of what can be expected from wifi, then a global industry has been founded on a lie.
0 Ratings
john46
Distinguished Sage
Message 25 of 26

my definition is a reliable connection which wired is always the most reliable and also more secure
0 Ratings
miqs
Contributor
Message 26 of 26

Last night I watched a one hour programme on iPlayer on my iPad without any buffering. I shall try on my ethernet wired Mac tonight. If they both work ok then what?

I understand a wired connection is best but if you can't then what? As bratman said above the whole concept is founded on a whim, not established fact!

0 Ratings