cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
miqs
Contributor
Message 1 of 26

Does "on demand" tv ever work? Nothing but hassle! Call engineer?

Having posted my problems some time ago https://community.bt.com/t5/Other-Broadband-Queries/New-Smart-TV-Faltering-iPlayer-Wifi-problems/m-p... and thought I had solved the bufferering problem. Unfortunately not! Every time I watch something on catchup it goes ok for about 15 mins then stops. Suspiciously around the same spot. I haven't been able to watch anything on catchup recently so what's the point? I invested in a wifi extender then was advised I should change it for a broadband extender which I did. But no change! Having bought a new smart tv it all now seems a waste of money! Does it ever work continuously or am I expecting too much? Is there any point in calling an engineer? Help!

0 Ratings
25 REPLIES 25
ray_dorset
Distinguished Guru
Message 2 of 26

Re: Does "on demand" tv ever work? Nothing but hassle! Call engineer?

Is there any way you can connect the TV to the Homehub using an ethernet cable, instead of using wireless or Homeplugs?
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
If you found this post helpful, please click on the star on the left
If not, I'll try again 🙂
0 Ratings
miqs
Contributor
Message 3 of 26

Thanks but no.  My router is on the first floor and tv on the ground floor.  Ideally I know that this would be the preferable method of checking but I cannot restructure this.  However I have just spoken to the BT help desk and he suggested everything that I have done with one addition. That is to relocate the ethernet connecting plugs (yellow) for the broadband extender to another port on the back of the router and see if this helps. I have my doubts if this will work though. He did a speedtest and said my speeds were satisfactory and my problems were possibly related more to outside influences such as busy line corruption. All resulting in a very frustrating situation after a considerable outlay to achieve what is openly advertised. I guess unless you are living next door to a BT exchange or green cabinet nothing is guaranteed, and even then......  Smiley Sad

0 Ratings
ray_dorset
Distinguished Guru
Message 4 of 26

I have a wire from my router on the first floor to my TV on the ground floor because I find wifi and homeplugs unreliable and they bring their own unique problems.
If not, I'll try again 🙂
0 Ratings
miqs
Contributor
Message 5 of 26

You mean a ethernet cable? Running outdoors? What is the max length you can run for this?
0 Ratings
ray_dorset
Distinguished Guru
Message 6 of 26

One ethernet segment can be 100m long. I use internal cables and you can get exterior ones but they are more expensive as they are UV resistant.
If not, I'll try again 🙂
0 Ratings
miqs
Contributor
Message 7 of 26

One residual point to raise though is that I can receive Netflix perfectly without any signal failures so how is that? Do all terestrial UK tv stations stream on demand tv programmes differently to Netflix, or if my problem is my router or wifi connection how come Netflix isn't affected?

0 Ratings
bratman91
Aspiring Expert
Message 8 of 26

The frequency of people reporting excessive buffering while watching on-demand channels does not seem to have diminished over the years. I have a new Panasonic smart TV and when watching BBC iPlayer, Amazon Prime or most of the other catchup services, I can expect an excellent service for about 15 minutes and then almost constant buffering, sometimes so long that I give up watching the programme. My HH5 is close to to the TV although upstairs. I have tried selecting the lowest video standards, selected both the 2.4 and 5 Ghz router bands and even tried using powerline adapters. A speedtest conducted next to the TV using an iPad shows a speed close to the maximum. So it must be my TV! However, I get the same behaviour using a NowTV box, which suggests that the TV is not at fault. My suspicion is that every now and again, there is a complete blockage of data coming from the router - this causes buffering on anything using a video service but is not long enough to register on a speedtest unless caught at the right time. How many of us have done a speedtest and got a poor result, only to try the same test again and get a good one? When we are surfing the net, how often does a page stop loading momentarily, and which we put down to just a glitch in the server of the site we are accessing? I am at a loss to think of any other explanation that fits all the symptoms but I would appreciate comments from other users.
0 Ratings
miqs
Contributor
Message 9 of 26

Exactly!  I cannot believe that something so important and well documented is still not solvable! There must be lots of new smart tv owners (Panasonic or not) that suffer from this. Or perhaps not! Is this just a BT or Panasonic problem and no one wants to admit it? When I spoke to the BT help line, and after all the initial questions, he said that BT had fulilled all their primary tasks and therefore it must be my home connection. I find this very frustrating when on demand is openly advertised as a "one item fits all" available to anyone without any reservations. My tv store certainly didn't warn me it might not work! Surely someone out there has got a solution! 

0 Ratings
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 26

I have a samsung smarttv and have had for a few years which I use with powerline adapters and don't have any problem with on demand with my hh5 - just to show that on demand can work ok

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings