cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jason8
Beginner
Message 1 of 9

Does the NTE grey box stop you getting Infinity?

Further to a recent chance conversation with an ex BT engineer, I now fear that I may NEVER get infinity or any superfast BB.

Here's the dilemar..

I have a 4 year old house on a private road with the grey external NTE box outside.

All the streets around me have some sort of superfast, but our road remains on standard BB and slow at that (3Mb).

I figured it was because it's a private road but apparently it's because this box which has a TVSS fitted into it (lightning surge suppressor) it won't allow any data flow higher than 8Mb (because of the lightning suppressor).

Now, I don't know if this is true or if anyone else knows..

If it IS true, apart from linking out the line inside myself which I don't want to do, can I get BT to get rid or bypass it?

If I do does that mean that Infinity will then be available to me? 

My cab is DRAYTON (cabinet 20) in Norwich, which openreach states as AO (accepting orders) but not on my road..

Any ideas please would be very greatfully appreciated.

Thanks for reading.

0 Ratings
8 REPLIES 8
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 9

Re: Does the NTE grey box stop you getting Infinity?

from previous posts the openreach engineer will make changes to the grey box so you can get infinity

what do you get if you enter your phone number   https://www.btwholesale.com/includes/adsl/main.html

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
jason8
Beginner
Message 3 of 9

Hi imjolly, really appreciate your quick response thanks.

I take it by what you said that this isn't the first time you've heard of this?

Your post looks like a cutting from a previous one? Would you please tell me if I need to contact openreach OR BT.

Anyways, my results are below if it helps

Thanks again.

Littlewood fibre.jpg

0 Ratings
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 9

please delete your phone number as this is a public forum

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 9

from the checker results it does not look like your cab is in the rollout plan for fibre - there is no mention of FTTC

your exchnage may be upgraded but many cabinets are left initially out of the fibre rollout

0 Ratings
jason8
Beginner
Message 6 of 9

OK..
It's just that on the openreach cab check my cab is flagged as AO (accepting orders). I realize that this may not include my street, but what I'm trying to establish is, is it because my estate (around 30 houses in total) all have the external NTE so BT aren't going to bother with us because it's too much hassle for them?
If this is the only reason why then I need to take steps to lobby BT on behalf of the whole development to get the situation changed.
Could you please elaborate on whether it would be any use trying to get openreach to do something with these boxes?
Hope this makes sense, thank you.
0 Ratings
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 9

normally the checker show cabs as available and only place I have seen AO is when you use BT checker and that is the exchange is accepting orders   that is totally different to your cabinet is available.  there will be cabinets on your exchnage showing available but according yo the dslwholesale checker your cab has no mention of FTTC

0 Ratings
jason8
Beginner
Message 8 of 9

OK, so it's just a sit and wait for me then?
Am I going to need to do something about the NTE anyway at such time if and when FTTC does become available?
0 Ratings
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 9

I would expect that when infinity is available the openreach engineer who comes to install it will make the required changes

0 Ratings