cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
derryviewer
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 18

Does the Youview box for an extra tv sub have to be a BT branded box?

I have  spare Talk Talk branded box DN370t as I moved to BT from Talk Talk

I have infinity and I am considering taking an extra box sub.

I can see that there is an option which allows you to buy the sub only at £5 per month if you have a extra Yoview box, will the extra subscription work on the Talk Talk box ok or does it have to be one of the BT makes/models?

I am using the Talk Talk box already but not to watch internet channels.  When I got BT installed then after a reset the Talk Talk box inherited the BT branding within the menus etc.    If I try and watch a net channel on it then am asked if I wish to make that my primary box which I refuse of course as the BT box is the main box.

0 Ratings
17 REPLIES 17
zulu17
Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 2 of 18

Re: Does the Youview box for an extra tv sub have to be a BT branded box?

I suspect you will find that the BT ordering system will have a check that requires you to have had  two boxes supplied by BT and if you only have had one  from BT will include a second box with the relevant charges. 

0 Ratings
davgille7
Aspiring Expert
Message 3 of 18

You should go into BT player on your talk talk box and make it your primary box and see if the Internet channels work ok. If they work fine then you could get multiroom sub for £5. Once you have tested talk talk box (even if it does not work) you just go back into BT player on BT box and change it back to be the primary box.
0 Ratings
toekneem
Distinguished Guru
Message 4 of 18

@davgille7 wrote:
You should go into BT player on your talk talk box and make it your primary box and see if the Internet channels work ok. If they work fine then you could get multiroom sub for £5. Once you have tested talk talk box (even if it does not work) you just go back into BT player on BT box and change it back to be the primary box.

@Even IF the TalkTalk box worked he would not be allowed the multiroom sub @£5 pm because he would also need an Engineer install which is £44. So for the year he would be paying £60 for the multiroom and £44 for the engineer install total of £104 .

It also looks like BT will not budge on the engineer install even if you already have a BT Box never mind a TalkTalk box

toekneem

(EASBF)

0 Ratings
davgille7
Aspiring Expert
Message 5 of 18

BT must have changed it then as I got the £5 multiroom add on with an old t1000 box which was hard wired to the hub5 about 5 weeks ago. No engineer install or £44 charge.

0 Ratings
TimSmedley
Aspiring Expert
Message 6 of 18

Hi

I ws a beta tster for multi room but when launched to the public they wanted to start charging me so i opted out 12 months ago.

I rang last month and they added the second box again for the £5/month and no engineer visit or fee was required.

Tim

0 Ratings
toekneem
Distinguished Guru
Message 7 of 18

Well I phoned up a few days ago and two advisors have stated that the £44 engineer install fee is a must or I cannot have the extra box subscription. Also online ordering also insists that the £44 engineer install has to be paid.

I  record all my calls and they clearly state that the £44 fee is a must have. Also I asked in another post if the mods would confirm if the £44 fee was or was not a requirement. 

No reply.

toekneem

(EASBF)

0 Ratings
davgille7
Aspiring Expert
Message 8 of 18

If I remember correctly it depends on what link you use in my BT to get the self install option. If I went through my products, TV, entertainment max and tried to order a second box it was £44 install. I think I went through my products, BT sport, get the best deal for BT sport, then eventually added extra box subscription with self install. It was the same with ultra HD, depending on what links I clicked on, it was a new 18 month contract but on one of the links was a 12 month re-contract.
0 Ratings
davgille7
Aspiring Expert
Message 9 of 18

image.jpg

0 Ratings
davgille7
Aspiring Expert
Message 10 of 18

That was ultra HD for £49 box, £15 per month and no installation charge with 12 month re-contract. Other links in my BT made it 18 months re-contract, £49 + £44 install.
0 Ratings