cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 17

Dongle.

I just received my Hub and starter pack but noticed there was no wireless dongle supplied. Is it missing or does the engineer supply said dongle or am I going to be forced to buy one?

Thanks.

0 Ratings
16 REPLIES 16
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 17

Re: Dongle.

What made you think that a wireless dongle would be provided?
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 17

Because every other ISP I and other friends have been with has supplied one and it would kinda make sense for BT to supply one as they are promoting this around the wireless 'n technology. Supply the hub but no BTinfinity compliant dongle? Makes no sense to me.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Guru
Message 4 of 17

@Ian2011 wrote:
Because every other ISP I and other friends have been with has supplied one and it would kinda make sense for BT to supply one as they are promoting this around the wireless 'n technology. Supply the hub but no BTinfinity compliant dongle? Makes no sense to me.

Hi Ian, I have been with a few ISp's and NONE have supplied a dongle (free or otherwise)

I take it from your message that you might have used a mobile tel operator as an ISp before.

[edited 17.24] to remove competitors names

toekneem

(EASBF)

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Expert
Message 5 of 17

Same i have never had a isp provide a free dongle and ive has 6 differnt isps befor a few have had this as an optional extra to buy but never even hered of free ones
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Recognised Expert
Message 6 of 17

@Ian2011 wrote:

I just received my Hub and starter pack but noticed there was no wireless dongle supplied. Is it missing or does the engineer supply said dongle or am I going to be forced to buy one?

Thanks.

HH3 will transmit a wireless b/g signal as well so it'll work with older equipment, therefore you won't be forced to by anything extra.

However to get the best wireless speed with Infinity then wireless n is the way to go.

Pippincp provided a link in message 5 in the POST HERE to some he was buying at a very reasonable price.

The sales ended now however they have been relisted at the same price.

And in message 2 in the same thread there is a link to the type I use (Edimax).

I obtained mine from the same source but for a bit more via an auction.... still under a tenner inc pp.

----------//--------

On another point not related.... If anyone is replying in this thread could you mention if this/my post is displayed with a pinky/cream background. It shows like that on my computer after I edited it... and I did not select the Hi-Light this message in the options box, just the edit reply.

Thank you.... PC

--------------------------------------------//--------------------------------------------
Please Click On any Text in Blue as that automatically links to information.

PC (NDEGR)

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 7 of 17

I've been with Wannado, AoL, Tesco, all three supplied dongles. My brother is with AoL and was given a free dongle, my bestfriend is with Sky and got a free dongle, my girlfriend who lived in the US got a free dongle when she was with Comcast.

Seems like a bit of a ploy to get people to part with more cash. Only selling half a product, we'll give you the hub, but to make use of the n tech you will need to part with an extra 40 quid to use it.

Willing to lay 30 meters of cable but not supply a dongle that could cut the job in half seems a little strange to me.

Oh well I guess I'll just have to fork out more money to buy one.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Guru
Message 8 of 17

Hi Ian2011, well I was with SKY for 3 years and never got a free dongle, and two of the other names you mentioned possibly had to give them away to attract customers and the other one in the good old US of A isn't much good to the rest of usSmiley Wink

toekneem

(EASBF)

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 9 of 17

You totally missed the point, they still gave them away regardless and you must of missed out on the free dongle from sky, it is a silver netgear one.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Recognised Expert
Message 10 of 17

@Ian2011 wrote:
..... you will need to part with an extra 40 quid to use it......

Oh well I guess I'll just have to fork out more money to buy one.

This is the Edimax USB wireless n adapter that I use.- on Ebay ... presently £7 + 50p post and pack.... 

And another one HERE.... presently 99p + £1.99 postage.

--------------------------------------------//--------------------------------------------
Please Click On any Text in Blue as that automatically links to information.

PC (NDEGR)

0 Ratings