cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 1 of 10

Downgrade to BT broadband from Fibre?

I've been with BT for a year with BT Fibre Infinity and have had a whole host of issues. 

Essentially, they cannot provide me with fibre worthy speed (am getting 5 - 14 mbps at best). So my question is... will my speed be slower than the speeds I am getting on fibre, if I change to standard broadband. 

My theory is that it will essentially be the same. Just because I am on a fibre package does not mean my speed will be slower on standard broadband.... i.e. if my broadband package is 'up to 17mbps' 

anyways, some help/advice would be great. 

Many thanks. 

0 Ratings
9 REPLIES 9
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 10

Re: Downgrade to BT broadband from Fibre?

In order to find out what services and speed range you should be getting, please enter your phone number into this form.
Broadband availability checker

Please remember to edit out your phone number before you post the results.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 10

FTTC broadband speed is dependant on your distance from the green cabinet and drops off very quickly, standard broadband speed is dependant on your distance from the exchange but the speed/distance graph is much shallower. If you are a long way from the exchange, FTTC may still be faster than ADSL.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 10

ADSL "Standard" broadband and VDSL "Fibre" broadband are two different products and there is no correlation between what you get speed on one to what you will get on the other.

VDSL Fibre broadband is delivered by fibre cables to a cabinet and thereafter along copper telephone cables to your property.

ADSL broadband is delivered along copper telephone cables from the telephone exchange to your house.

The main speed limiting factor on both systems is the length of the copper cables. In most, but not all, instances the Fibre Cabinet is nearer to the customer's property than the telephone exchange so the speed of fibre is generally faster than ADSL broadband.

Your previous posts about your poor speed has been fairly well covered in your previous thread.

https://community.bt.com/t5/BT-Infinity-Speed-Connection/Switch-cabinet/td-p/1559354

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 5 of 10

IMG_1139.PNG

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 10

According to the estimate check you can expect a maximum of 8Mbps for a "normal" broadband line. It could of course be slower.

EDIT: As per Webbys post. I did not give the "range" speeds. I was giving your Line rate which is the sync speed of your line and is probably more realistic of what you will get.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 10

ADSL2+ shows speeds of up to 14meg
If you want to say thanks for a helpful answer,please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side If the the reply answers your question then please mark as ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 8 of 10

Thanks for your input guys. I really appreciate it. The conundrum is that I get standard broadband and it's a lot slower than fibre or I get fibre and pay the extra £120 and it's basically the same as Adsl.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Expert
Message 9 of 10

VDSL uses a 17.7mHz frequency as opposed to the 1.1 for ADSL and 2.2 for ADSL2+.

Higher frequency ranges don't work as well over longer distances like ADSL/ADSL2+.

I have on more than a few occasions recommended people swap from VDSL to ADSL because of the distances between their house and the cab/Exchange.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 10 of 10

Cheers John. Appreciate the answer. Best I can do is try it and upgrade if it doesn't work.
0 Ratings