Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
siash69
Beginner
Message 1 of 5

Download Speed Drastically Reduced

Over the last 2 days my download speed has gone from around 6mb to 0.14mb, my upload speed has remained the same at or around 0.33mb, to me this indicates that all is well with my hardware, software and wiring, my HH is connected via an ethernet cable. I have changed no configuration details apart from not allowing 3rd party cookies. I have consulted all the relevant BT help pages, powered down my HH etc, checked for spyware, adware etc. I have tried to run the BT Speed Test but it does not work (server error) and I don't have the ID you can enter as well as your active telephone number, is this a general ID or one unique to your individual broadband service? I have checked the service status page and my area is not experiencing any problems. I run Vista and know its not the best OS but I have only just recently started experiencing problems. All programs and drivers are upto date, I have also used the Speed Wizard which wasn't much help and the Desktop Help software. Could it be possible I have a faulty micro-filter if my upload speed has not been effected?

Any suggestions will be appreciated before I phone the Help Desk.

Thanks

Si

0 Ratings
4 REPLIES 4
olly230
Aspiring Expert
Message 2 of 5

Re: Download Speed Drastically Reduced

don't need a service ID - just your phone number

on the next screen

- bthomehub

- btiniternet.com

Sounds like you might have hit your usage cap...

check your ____@btiniternet.com email account for the warnings

0 Ratings
siash69
Beginner
Message 3 of 5

Thanks for the reply.

I am Option 3 and do not have a usage cap.

I tried the BT Speed Test with just my active phone number and got a sever error, I did obtain a service number and inputted both numbers and the test still didn;t work!!

0 Ratings
Eamdad
Aspiring Expert
Message 4 of 5

there is a fair usage cap of 100gb on option 3

0 Ratings
siash69
Beginner
Message 5 of 5

Ty, there is no way I have used 100Gb though. I have just got a return call from the Technical Desk and have been informed that I am in a Stabilisation Period, which was news to me!! Apparently my line/speed is being upgraded and I will have to wait until April 2nd to log an error if my downstream speed is still the same. Whilst this is good news if that is the fact but it would have been nice to have some kind of notification but I guess the amount of customers connected for broadband from the same exchange as myself must have been to great for them to notify us all. I will post the outcome in a weeks time.

0 Ratings