Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
progenisis
Beginner
Message 1 of 11

Download Speed ?

Hi

I have what i think might be a simple question,

How long would it take to download 1gb at a speed of 1mbps ?

Any replies and multiple replies would be greatly appreciated .

0 Ratings
10 REPLIES 10
Tven0
Contributor
Message 2 of 11

Re: Download Speed ?

1GB = 1000MB.

1MBPS = 1 megabyte per second.

1000 seconds = roughly 16 minutes. Lets say you try to download this at peak time, so the speed is varying or a bit lower than 1MB.

In real terms I would say you're looking at 30 minutes to an hour from previous experience of a 2MB BT connection.
0 Ratings
progenisis
Beginner
Message 3 of 11

So the question becomes more difficult.

Can someone explain why it took 114min to download 1.4gb at 7.6mbps ?

0 Ratings
Tven0
Contributor
Message 4 of 11

I can only assume you weren't getting 7.6mbps for the duration of the download and that something else must have been slowing your line down (i.e - peak time, games consoles, bt vision, background programs on your pc using the internet)
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 11

it also depens on the originators server.  many restrict the download speed as there server cannot handle unlimited for all the people.  Microsoft let you download at whatever.

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
progenisis
Beginner
Message 6 of 11

It was peek times, but I don't understand how bt can charge me for option 3 and let my download speed drop under a mbps when its capable of 7.6mbps.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 11

option 3 is unlimited data download at speeds up to 20mb.  at peak times there is a high demand for bandwidth so download speed drops and then increases again when demand drops.  you need to look at the originators servers as many restrict download speed to 250kb/s even though you can take alot faster.  nothing BT can do about that

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
toni
Aspiring Contributor
Message 8 of 11

No BT cannot help it, but they should be more realistic about what you actually DO get. The hype is  always what you could get, making out this super highway available all the time.The  reality is differnet.

Its the same for all broadband users on a telephone line...talk talk etc..

I deeply resent having to pay  for a landline as well,that I do now want or need just to get broadband, especially with all the current increases, and BT making zillions , without proving a decent service.

0 Ratings
progenisis
Beginner
Message 9 of 11

I know your trying to be helpful, but like the BT tech guys its every other excuse but the fact that bt nodes cannot handle a reasonable amount of bandwidth for every customer, we are in the age of HD streaming, Digital downwards, And Remote access from any where in the world. And to also know that my exchange is capable of 20mbps yet the line can only provide 7.5mbps that's less than half what's been promoted on most adverts and I live 0.4 miles away from the exchange, I waited 2 years for the upgrade and it dropped 0.5mbps or so the speedtest that bt provides displays. And originators servers, I was using servers with no such restrictions on.

Any more excuses, Sorry answers ?

0 Ratings
Highlighted
toni
Aspiring Contributor
Message 10 of 11

I agree totally with you.

Its the cost for a bad service that gets me..over £30 a month for less than 1mb up and download ...and as said in the 21st century is just not on .

I cannot see any impovement for the foreseeable future, for a telephone line provider.

Just looked on Virgin for some deals as they seem to be only providers with a modern cable service and found out that they employ a "throttling traffic mangement"..that BT must employ..so BT surely should say what their traffic management is , when, and what speeds..goes some way to explain the slow speeds people on BT are experiencing, especially at peak times..

http://shop.virginmedia.com/help/traffic-management.html

0 Ratings